_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
F-toys Ship kits
Cbacon84
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 204 posts
Model Shipwrights: 22 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2018 - 07:18 AM UTC
These little kits have become kind of a guilty pleasure for me. The local Japanese market by my place stocks them from time to time and while the small parts can be frustrating with my pudgy fingers I still have fun putting these little guys together. the size and because they are marketed more of as toys then models means that some of the finish on them is not the best but for the price I cant complain.

I've been wanting to post something on these for a while but didn't want to make a thread for each kit so i figured I'd just make one topic and update it whenever I finish one, as I have a few still sitting in my stash.
If anyone else has built any of these fell free to share them

First up is the most recent one I have completed from their Japanese Working Ships Collection vol .4
The JDS Kumisaki amphibious landing ship in 1/1250 scale in waterline style. There are full hull versions of each ship as well in the collection called the A type but as these are blind boxes its the luck of the draw but each A and B type of the 5 ships in the series are mostly the same other then some of the extras.
In this case the Extras for the Kumisaki are the two hovercrafts and the dock, as opposed to the type A who's extras would have been a display stand and a set of Osprey's to display on the deck.

TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2018 - 08:45 AM UTC
Casey,

These F-toys models don't look bad at all...
 photo Casadio Yamato assembled unpainted_zpsda2zzl13.jpg
But then again, I also like those ancient Casadio (now Revell) 1/1200 snap-together kits!

Cbacon84
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2018 - 10:07 AM UTC
actually that's a nice looking Yamato there. still better looking then my guilt Revell pleasure the 1:720 Arizona

somewhere in my stash is an F-toy's Musashi in the even smaller 1:2000 scale that i still need to build.

but even that doesn't compare to the minuscule 1:2000 scale Kogero class destroyer I built last year from F-toys Highschool fleet promo kits

Even next to one of their 1:2000 Hiei's it looks tiny. getting the propellers on was a nightmare
ChurchSTSV
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 350 posts
Model Shipwrights: 175 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2018 - 09:27 PM UTC
I just googled these and they are adorable!!! I'll definitely see if I can find a few to put together!
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Model Shipwrights: 31 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 08, 2018 - 11:15 PM UTC
Just the same as the Revell 1/1200 have seen numerous incarnations (I had them all in ESCI boxes) these look like the old 1/2000 Bandai mini fleet.

Heller also did some tiny cadet series ships around 1/2000 scale like the Foch. Kind of neat to have the whole battle line on one small shelf.
Cbacon84
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 09, 2018 - 05:16 AM UTC
@Bravo my thoughts exactly

@Church other then local, Ebay is your best bet unless you want to get a full case of them, then you are looking at HLJ or amiami for them
and they have a new set coming out that will have the Arizona, Repulse, Kongo, and Myoko in both full hull and waterline configuration

one last one for now. Another one from the High school fleet promo set. this time we have a fictitious Akizuki-class destroyer in 1:1250 scale.

Cbacon84
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2018 - 02:16 AM UTC
Ended up building another one today. Once again its an Akizuki-class Destroyer but this time a non fictional one,JMSDF DD-116 Teruzuki (Bright Moon). Extras once again are a section of Docks but rather then hover crafts you get a harbor tug and what I assume is a ocean going Fleet Tug
*Edit: looking closer at some of the JMSDF ship I now think that the larger one is not a Fleet Tug but a Sugashima-class Minesweeper

trucolorpaint
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 240 posts
Model Shipwrights: 39 posts
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2018 - 10:44 AM UTC
All I have to say is these are great looking builds and you guys who do these scales have a lot of patience.

I had not built a model for over 50 years (NOT a typo!) and have started 3 F-4's Phantoms in 1:48 and the USS Missouri in 1:700 to show off our military paint lines for the IPMS Convention and I thought those parts were small !

My builds are definitely NOT contest quality models, but I am having fun doing modeling again. One of the F-4's (in SEA camouflage) is nearly done and I'll post pictures of that soon.

In the meantime we NEED MORE RESPONSES to our SURVEY on what 6 new military sets we should manufacture for the IPMS Convention. Go to:

trucolorpaint.com/trucolor-paint-release-survey

Place your VOTE on what YOU would like to see us do !

Martin Cohen, PhD
Tru-Color Paint
Cbacon84
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2018 - 06:57 AM UTC
Thanks for the complete Martin, though I can't take any credit for the paint as all the F-toys are prepainted.
Took time and filled out the survey too.
Cbacon84
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 - 01:51 PM UTC
Last of the Modern ships I have at the moment. The Kongo Class destroyer Myōkō in 1:1250 scale with full hull.

and the extras are these minuscule Seahawk helicopters

Cbacon84
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 05:29 AM UTC
Its been a little bit but I got some of the New ships from F-toys latest 1:2000 scale assortment and was lucky that the first one I opened was the USS Arizona full hull, which was the one in the set that i was hoping for the most. No real problem with the kit other then the propellers and catapult were a little finicky getting to stay in. Also with the 5 in guns being molded separately you should be able to put the guns at rest if you wanted. only real touch up i need to do is on the white of the masts.

Cbacon84
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 24, 2018 - 06:33 AM UTC
The 1:2000 scale Kongo was probably the ship from this set I was least exited for as I already had 2 Hiei's and thought this was just going to be another reissue of that but it turns out it was an entire new tool of the Kongo with more details. It's a bit more finicky but ends up looking good.

comparisons between the new and old tool of the kongo class

Cbacon84
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2018 - 04:47 PM UTC
Finished off the last of The High School fleet 1:2000 scale kits I had with the biggest ship of them all the Musashi

Even has a little Aichi E13A

d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2018 - 11:44 PM UTC
Nice.
Cbacon84
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2018 - 07:09 AM UTC
@Mark Thanks

Finished another of the kits from the new set. The first British navy ship they have donein 1:2000 scale, the HMS Repulse. Was a little easier then the Arizona and Kongo as it did no have the fidelly little secondary guns. nly fit issue was that the top of the bridge which i had to enlarge the peg hole a bit to get it to fit.

_GOTOTOP