_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Carriers
Topics on all types of carriers from the early 20th century to today.
CVL-22 USS Independence
Cadeus
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 144 posts
Model Shipwrights: 139 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 07:06 PM UTC
This will by my build progress for the flattops campaign. This will be related to the construction of the kit.
Cadeus
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 07:22 PM UTC
Here we go. I will be posting previous construction and where it was at prior to getting the flyhawk set and the wood deck. I will have to do some minor de-construction to add etch parts that I previously didn't have. First off the photos of where I left off at before she found herself on the shelf of doom.

This is where I left off. At the time I didn't have a proper Ocean Gray so first things was repainting the Hull color.

Now on to removing kit parts and replacing with flyhawk etch

I wasn't too pleased with dragons lack of detail at the Aft life raft stations on the outside of the hull, and flyhawks fix seemed too flat and unrealistic, so I combined both kit and etch and a little .4mm drill and this is what I came up with

More of Flyhawks details added around the funnels and surrounding details. Also a look at the deck painted in AK interactive flight deck stain 21. I sealed the deck with testors lacquer based gloss clear, then painted over it with the flight deck stain, may add a wash to it, I have not decided on it yet.

That's it for now will have more updates as she moves along.

Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Model Shipwrights: 258 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 07:23 PM UTC
I will eventually build that kit in my stash,so I will follow yours with interest.
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 07:46 PM UTC
Hi Norman,

Your Independence is looking great so far. I can't imagine why you stopped... but I guess we are our own worst critics! Your creative approach in combining kit and Flyhawk aftermarket etch parts for the aft life raft stations is especially effective. I too will be following your build with interest!
Cadeus
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2018 - 08:27 PM UTC
I stopped because the eduard set isn’t that detailed, it covers the basics. Also Eduards set is fragile, especially with stairs. I broke a few trying to fold them. The flyhawk set goes into greater detail to fix or enhance the kit details. Sometime soon I’ll lay out and take pictures of Eduards set and instructions and then flyhawks set and instructions. If anyone is on the fence between Eduards set (price is hard to beat) vs and other detail set, my opinion would be to skip Eduards set and opt for a little more, this kit is very detailed on its own, and would do great without any additions to it. But as most of us ship builders can attest to, I look at Aztec stairs and overscale and blocky kit pieces and want to improve it. When I started building it I wasn’t as skilled of a ship builder as I am now also. The funds permitted the flyhawk set and I was waiting for that to further improve this wonderful kit. As ships go, dragons detail in their new ships is hard to beat, but you pay in parts count and horrible instructions plagued with mistakes.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2018 - 12:56 AM UTC
Looking good so far Norman,

Great to see you back on her.

Cheers

Si
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Model Shipwrights: 871 posts
Posted: Monday, May 28, 2018 - 11:58 AM UTC
Looking good Norman. Glad to see someone helping Si to fly the flag for the Flattops campaign. I hope to make it a triumvirate this weekend.

cheers
Michael
 _GOTOTOP