_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Best ship kit for beginners?
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2018 - 10:04 AM UTC
Hi Guys!

I know this is an unusual subject in this day and age and it's probably been discussed here before, but, what would be the best ship kit for a newbie to cut his teeth on?

Believe it or not a friend's son of about 8 years of age wants to have a crack at a ship after seeing pics of my finished Prinz Eugen!

Oh, and needs to be reasonably priced too
ChurchSTSV
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 350 posts
Model Shipwrights: 175 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2018 - 10:09 AM UTC

I got a Lindbergh 1/750 KGV from Hobby Lobby for $7. Comes with one sprue for parts and full hull. Without paint, would probably take about 20 minutes to assemble. Since its so cheap, it can be used to test paint techniques.
Cadeus
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 144 posts
Model Shipwrights: 139 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2018 - 10:41 AM UTC
Tamiyas destroyers, good clear instructions and ease of assembly. Maybe Revells lots too.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Model Shipwrights: 151 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2018 - 11:28 AM UTC
Academy has an easy assembly USS Missouri, pre colored parts. Titanic also.
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 31, 2018 - 01:36 PM UTC
Russ,

If your friend's son liked your Prinz Eugen, Revell makes one in 1/720 that he might enjoy. It isn't too difficult a build, and he might like playing with the snap-on lower hull (I certainly did at his age!)
Cadeus
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 144 posts
Model Shipwrights: 139 posts
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2018 - 08:11 AM UTC
I think there’s no perfect beginner kit when it comes to ships. They are, in my own personal opinion, are the hardest models to do at the beginner stage. Even out of the box some kits are very complex (looking at you dragon). The snap kits are a good idea and maybe the larger scales of 1:144 or 1/72. I enjoy ships the most because of complexity. Most modern ship kits even come with photo etch. My recommendation still would be tamiyas destroyers. The least instruction mistakes, arguably the best fit out of the box, and tamiyas plastic is very good and crisp detail already without having to add aftermarket. Most kids that see me building ships ask me what should they start with and I usually suggest revells car kits. They are a great way to start in the hobby without overwhelming beginners with huger par counts and intimidating instructions. Also I feel mistakes are easier to hide and a lot more forgiving with build errors. Ships are a tough subject to just jump right into.
babaoriley
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 195 posts
Model Shipwrights: 12 posts
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2018 - 12:31 PM UTC
http://bado-badosblog.blogspot.com/2011/11/resurrection-of-gahan-wilsons-nuts.html
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Model Shipwrights: 26 posts
Posted: Friday, June 01, 2018 - 02:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

http://bado-badosblog.blogspot.com/2011/11/resurrection-of-gahan-wilsons-nuts.html

I really enjoyed Wilson's stuff when the Lampoon was still being published. A magazine like that couldn't fly now with all the touchy people roaming around.
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 09:51 AM UTC
Wow guys, really pleasantly surprised at the number of responses!

My thanks to all of you. Definitely will pass this info onto my friend for him to consider.
 _GOTOTOP