_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Submarines
Topics on submarines of all types and eras.
U 1407, type XVIIB, 1/144 MikroMir
Deranius
Visit this Community
Novi Sad, Serbia & Montenegro
KitMaker: 60 posts
Model Shipwrights: 56 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2018 - 10:29 PM UTC
Here is a model of one of the late German submarine projects that came too late to have any impact, but were later extensively studied on both sides of Iron Curtain. The model itself comes with dedicated PE fret. The instructions are however very poorly done and luckily the sub doesn't have much parts and one can easily assemble the kit even without the instructions. Some PE parts as well as dive planes were lost to carpet monster and had to be replaced. The dive planes are replaced with plastic from the roler pen cap. PE rails were replaced with copper wire which is also used for stairs on the coning tower. The handle (hope it is a proper term) on the hatch inside the coning tower is replaced with a small cog from pocket watch. On the front wall of the tower I added a small part also from the pocket watch to serve as a place to fix larger binoculars while on surface. The antennas are also made from copper wire. Anyhow here are some photos from the WIP stage as well as of the finished model.
P.S. Sorry for being away for so long, had some personal issues to attend to.

And photos of the finished model

Feel free to comment and criticize...
Best regards,
Rade
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2018 - 12:25 AM UTC
Rade,

This is a beautiful, clean build of a U-Boat type I had never even heard of. Excellent work!

Deranius
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2018 - 10:28 AM UTC
Thank you Tim for your kind words... It was one of the last ditch efforts of Germans to try to change the tide of war. Futile effort when it comes to that, but a significant technological leap forward, as are all of those late war projects.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 07:30 AM UTC
Hi Rade,

What Tim said! The subtle weather really brings it to life.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Si
Deranius
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 10:29 AM UTC
Thank you Simon.
I think I overdid a little on the green on one side... It is a bit more obvious in reality than on photos...
Deranius
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 11:47 AM UTC
I apologize for not saying that this sub is a joint build of my colleague Predrag Stamenkovic (who bought a model and assembled the larger parts) and me (scratch-building, painting and weathering). It was not my intention to grab the credits for myself, it's just that I always post here late at night (after midnight) as I return from work... Making vinyls (LPs) can be tiring....
Good night guys I'm off to sleep...
 _GOTOTOP