_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
Butler Class DE in 1/350
PorkChopper
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 34 posts
Model Shipwrights: 7 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 02:39 PM UTC
Ugh... Don't hate me for asking what has probably been beaten to death, but a quick look for the function to search these forums yielded no joy.

Does anyone make an injection molded Butler class DE? Everyone remotely familiar with the history of the USN will know this is one of the most famous fighting ships in the Navy's history e.g.; Samuel B. Roberts. I can't imagine it has been overlooked in this scale, considering the "golden age" of modeling we're currently enjoying. But, all my Googling has produced no leads. I would really love to add this important ship to my collection.

TIA,

Bill
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Model Shipwrights: 173 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 03:10 PM UTC
Well, good question-- it depends on what you're looking for. Bluejackets made a really detailed 1/96 scale resin Butler class several years ago at a higher price point. Lindbergh made one, but it was a kind of a mix between a Rudderow and a Butler class-- in about 1/256 or 1/300 scale, I think. I believe Hawk made another really tiny version in about 1/800 (or smaller) scale (which has been re-released by Testor's in a "junior" box display along with some of thier other toy like kits. And Pitt Road released a one in 1/700 scale. I think all of these are OOP, with the exception of the larger Lindberg kit that was re-released last year-- I saw it recently in a Hobbytown.
VR, Russ
PorkChopper
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 04:46 PM UTC
Hi Russ,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I've seen the Bluejacket kit which IIRC is expensive and looks time consuming. I think I had the old Lindberg kit (which I believe was the motorized version) when I was a kid in the 70's. Really looking for a modern tool in 1/350, but all of my Googling has been to naught. Was hoping that somebody had done the ship recently and I just missed the announcement. Given the spate of recent releases by Trumpeter and the Japanese companies over the last 10 years, I'm surprised nobody has popped out a Samuel B. Roberts.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2018 - 05:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Russ,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I've seen the Bluejacket kit which IIRC is expensive and looks time consuming. I think I had the old Lindberg kit (which I believe was the motorized version) when I was a kid in the 70's. Really looking for a modern tool in 1/350, but all of my Googling has been to naught. Was hoping that somebody had done the ship recently and I just missed the announcement. Given the spate of recent releases by Trumpeter and the Japanese companies over the last 10 years, I'm surprised nobody has popped out a Samuel B. Roberts.

Bill, I think most of the mainstream companies have overlooked the fact there were more DE types than just the Buckley class. Perhaps they feel there is no market for them. I've built several of the 1/72 Fletcher's made by Revell and the Flower class Corvette too, when I was doing commission work-- but I think 1/72 is too large. I think, IMHO-- the Buckley and Rudderow/Butler class would be excellent sellers in 1/144 scale, but nobody seems to care much. 1/350 is a great scale for CVs and Battleships, but 1/144 would be perfect for the DEs. Heck, we even have landing craft now in 1/144 scale. Why not a couple of DE's?
VR, Russ
salemguy
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 33 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2018 - 08:52 AM UTC
Oops - I'm an idiot, sorry. Misread the title.

Regards,

Brad.
PorkChopper
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2018 - 11:05 AM UTC
Russ,

I'm with you. Let's start a company: You do everything, and I'll buy the first one or two 1/144 DE's.

Bill
PorkChopper
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, June 29, 2018 - 12:03 PM UTC
I should probably add that the reason I'm asking for a 1/350 Samuel B Roberts is that I've always thought it would be great to display next to one of her adversaries like the Chokai, Kongo, or Chikuma and really play on the size difference. David vs Goliath. This might actually be one of the reasons that we're not seeing a new tool Butler. Not exactly the IJN's proudest moment. Then again, I'd think Trumpeter would be eager to rub some salt in the proverbial wound by countering the recent spate of new 1/350 IJN warhips with a ship like the SBR.
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 01:56 AM UTC
Bill, there used to be a 1/350 resin Butler class by Iron Shipwrights or Commander models if I remember correctly but it's been OOP for many many years.

I've been wanting to do a SBR to go along side my USS Hoel I completed a few years ago. This all started after reading 'Last stand of the tin can sailors' great book by the way.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 04:56 AM UTC
This thread got me thinking, as I've longed for a "long" time for a "DeLong" Rudderow conversion of the old Lindberg kit in 1/300-- turns out Shapeways has several sets of guns and fittings for the old Lindberg kit, which could be used to build a SBR model! The Pitt Road kit is also pretty nice (and you get two in a box) but a bit small. Bill-- I've got a better idea, you do all the design, tooling, and box art work, I'll do the rest!
VR, Russ
PorkChopper
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 12:05 PM UTC
It really does pay to check the 3D printing sites before building some of the older stuff in the stash. It's amazing what's available there. That said, I've yet to actually purchasing anything and am a little skeptical as to whether the printed items live up to the renderings they show on the site.

I definitely remember building the old Lindberg kit now, and am pretty certain it was a decent looking kit. Of course, as soon as I would buy either the old Lindberg or an expensive resin or multimedia kit, Trumpeter or Dragon will announce a new-tool state-of-the-art kit. This has been the story of my modeling career.

Still, can't get over some of Trumpeter's choices like the French pre-dreadnought and that odd looking WWII Soviet battleship when we don't have a good DE in 1/350. Not complaining - those kits are welcome additions. Just leaves me scratching my head a little.

I'd design it myself had I not faked my way through most of my highschool and college math courses. I do own a marketing agency though, and could take care of the box art and instruction manual.
 _GOTOTOP