_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Operation Petticoat?
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,055 posts
Model Shipwrights: 30 posts
Posted: Friday, March 19, 2004 - 03:39 PM UTC
Say, did anyone see the movie "Operation Petticoat"? I saw it and got an idea.......
A, uh, "friend of mine" could possibly be thinking about making the sub from it. So, um, how could this "friend of mine" do so? You know, how could, um, he paint it pink? Oh, and would this make me, err, my friend less of a man? Thanks for your time.
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
Model Shipwrights: 25 posts
Posted: Friday, March 19, 2004 - 03:54 PM UTC
Well, I wouldn't think any less of you. I love that movie. But remember that was above the water line they never had her in a dry dock to do the whole hull. Funny that the under water outdie shoot showed her in a full hull pink. STUG
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,055 posts
Model Shipwrights: 30 posts
Posted: Friday, March 19, 2004 - 04:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, I wouldn't think any less of you

What makes you think it was me?! #:-) I said it was my friend! :-)
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Friday, March 19, 2004 - 06:03 PM UTC
No, I wouldn't think less of your "friend." Your "friend" does know that movie was based in fact? I can't remember the name of the boat but some WWII fleet boat had to be painted pink for the same reason given in the movie, not enough red lead. The letter the skipper wrote about toilet paper, the pregnant women on board, all really happened, though to different subs. I even heard there was a roughly similar incident about torpedoing the truck. Yep, I'd like to see it when your "friend" comes up with this.

warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, March 19, 2004 - 08:22 PM UTC
No your "friend" would not be less of a man.. Remember that your "friend is building a model.. That is the bottom line. Plus he is making an accurate rendition of somehting as well.

If I remember correctly.. There is a coulpe of our Esteemed member of this site or making or have made a model or two in the pink paint scheme..
So tell your "Friend" build and paint away... I mean really it is a very original idea... At least I would have never thought of it...

Paul
Cob
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 275 posts
Model Shipwrights: 64 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 01:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

No, I wouldn't think less of your "friend." Your "friend" does know that movie was based in fact? I can't remember the name of the boat but some WWII fleet boat had to be painted pink for the same reason given in the movie, not enough red lead. The letter the skipper wrote about toilet paper, the pregnant women on board, all really happened, though to different subs. I even heard there was a roughly similar incident about torpedoing the truck. Yep, I'd like to see it when your "friend" comes up with this.

I believe the "pink" boat in question was the USS Seadragon (SS-194). During the initial Japanese attacks on Dec 7/8 She was tied up at the Cavite Naval yards in the Phillipines outboard Sealion. A Japanese plane dropped a bomb which struck Sealion,starting a fire topside on Seadragon. Incidentally, the first Submariner killed in WWII was an Ensign who was on the bridge of Seadragon at the time of the attack.
Anyway, Seadragon ended up pink either because the fire burned away the top coat of paint exposing the red lead primer which subsequently faded or it was repainted as depicted in the movie or a combination of the two. Seadragon was known thereafter as the "Red PIrate Fleet (boat)' a title bestowed by Tokyo Rose.
HTH
Cob
 _GOTOTOP