_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
TRMA?
warshipbuild
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 222 posts
Model Shipwrights: 207 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2018 - 11:34 PM UTC
Hi guys,
Anyone know what happened to the Titanic Research & Modeling Association website?

It seems to have dissappeared altogther?
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2018 - 01:34 AM UTC
Really good question Dave!

I was hoping to rely on them as I start to turn my attention towards building my titanic kit, so fingers crossed they come back!

I sent them a message on Facebook but it looks like it hasn't been active since 2012

Meanwhile you could check out this awesome build
warshipbuild
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, August 14, 2018 - 10:54 PM UTC
According to Art's page, the TRMA as we know it, packed up in early 2018. He makes no mention as to the reason why though.

I also have the Minicraft updated Titanic kit, along with the Lusitania, and like yourself, was looking forward to using the TRMA site as a useful resource.

Sad to see the TRMA disappear after all those years.
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, August 15, 2018 - 09:36 AM UTC
Such a shame Dave: who know's what happened.

Maybe the person who ran it passed away? That's the thing with the internet, we'll never know for sure.

At least Art has shared his knowledge for all of us "crazies" who want to build Titanic...

I must admit, I'm a bit jealous that you have the elusive Lusitania kit. I sure wish Minicraft would get hold of the molds and add it to their range
warshipbuild
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2018 - 09:48 AM UTC
Hi Russ,
The Gunze version of the Lusitania, along with the original Entex one comes up on ebay from time to time. Usually it's cheaper to find one on the US ebay site. The sellers on the UK site ask for silly money for it.

I bought mine - one of only 2 I could find for sale in the UK at the time, for around fifty quid some 12 years ago. At that time it was the most expensive kit I'd ever bought! Since then, I bought the etch set for it from GMM via WEM and have tried unsuccessfully to get some brass masts turned up for both it and the Titanic on a pal's cnc machine.

The Titanic and the Lusitania both originated from the Entex company I think, then Revell reboxed them. Minicraft took on the Titanic and Gunze Sangyo took on the Lusitania.
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2018 - 01:52 PM UTC
Hi Dave!

I've seen Lusitania come up once or twice on ebay, add in the Australia "Tax" for delivery and it's eye wateringly expensive... ah well.

Funnily enough, I happened to be on Model Master's website a few days ago and it turns out they've just released a brass mast set for the Titanic here

Coincidence? Perhaps, perhaps not, but sure will make rigging much easier than styrene masts

Of course I snapped one up straight away from my LHS
warshipbuild
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2018 - 12:06 AM UTC
OOh! Brass masts - I'm having some of them!

Now, if only he'd do some for Lusitania.............!

RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2018 - 01:13 AM UTC
 _GOTOTOP