_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Campaign - Scheer Paint Colours
leader
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 110 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 01:14 PM UTC
Hi everyone

I hope the build is going well for all, as it is for me. Finally reached the step where some paints going to be going on. I'm going to be painting the Scheer in her 1942 dazzle camo while in Norway. What colours can I use for this scheme.....I like to spray Tamiya acrylics, thus if anyone has the right colour matches could you please post them, or any mixes of Tamiya paints that you use? If Tamiya isn't possible , my second choice would be to use the Model Masters enamel paints....do these have the correct colours.

Once again Thank You in advance.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 02:42 PM UTC
Howdy Leader,
When I built the Sheer I used Model Masters Enamels in Dark Gull gray and Gunship gray. With the dark gull gray, I add a couple drops of white just to lighten it up a bit. The dark gull gray is for the hull and superstructure, The gunship gray is for the camo and all the steel decks.

HTH,

Garry
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 03:13 PM UTC
While I agree with Garry about the Gunship gray, I would suggest camouflage gray as the lighter of the two. Both of these referring to Model Master enamels....Mike T
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 03:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

While I agree with Garry about the Gunship gray, I would suggest camouflage gray as the lighter of the two. Both of these referring to Model Master enamels....Mike T

I think Mike nailed it with the Camouflag grey, becouse I always had to adjust the dark gull gray to lighten it. Good call mike!

Garry
leader
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 110 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 02:26 PM UTC
Muchos Gracias, thanks Mike and Garry

Sorry to bother you with more questions. What is the colour of the deck on the superstructre, I've seen some other models that have this part in the same wood colour as the main deck, and others have it in dark grey (similar to the camo colour)...any help would be appreciated.

Once again thanks in advance
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 02:50 PM UTC
That would be the Gunship gray Leader. Only the main deck had wood planking, the upper decks were all steel. Take a look at my Lutzow in my gallery, it shows up well there.

Cheers,

Garry
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 09:28 PM UTC
Check out your local hobby shops. If they have a full line of Model Master paint, they should have a section for US Navy measure colors, Japanese Navy colors, Royal Navy colors, Age of Sail colors, and Kreigsmarine colors in the acrylic rack. As a subsection, they have some colors used specifically by German ships in Arctic waters. These are the ones that I got at Hobbytown for my projects:

MM #4257 Hellgrau 50 Pre-War----Wartime
MM #4258 Dunkelgrau 51 Pre-War----Wartime
MM #4264 Dunkelgrau 2 E/S-boat Decks/
Hull Camouflage
U-boats
MM #4263 Schiffsbodenfarb 3 Red Lead Hull Primer
MM #4262 Schnellbootweiss E/S-boat Hull/
Superstructure
MM #4261 Hellblaugrau Norway Camo
MM #4260 Mittelblaugrau Norway Camo
MM #4259 Dunkelblaugrau Norway Camo
MM #4235 Mahogany Wood Decking
(Check your ship, some had mahogany decks and some had pine)
 _GOTOTOP