_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Your Go-To Online Hobby Store
ChurchSTSV
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 350 posts
Model Shipwrights: 175 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2018 - 08:35 AM UTC
As I have discovered after getting back into this hobby, hobby stores (That are NOT Hobble Lobby) are far and few in-between these days. #Sadtimes #RIPHobbyTownUSA

ANYWAY, what online retailer do you guys head to first if you need things? There are so many and the prices vary so much!! I have seen Tamiya paint jars going from $2 to $5 depending on retailer (for the same size jar).

What retailer is first on your Favorites bar?
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2018 - 09:09 AM UTC
I'm fortunate that there is still one old school brick and mortar hobby shop here in Sacramento, California - Viking Hobby. Even though they can't always match the faceless big box mail order outlets for price, they are great local folks and the service is first rate.

After them... I troll ebay for unusual or out of production stuff, like the old Pyro kits I like so much.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Model Shipwrights: 26 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2018 - 09:46 AM UTC
For modeling supplies I was lucky enough to have a HobbyTownUSA within a reasonable distance. A few things I got online and I cleaned Hobby Lobby out of the Vallejo range and Tamiya ETC, but mostly brick'n'mortar.

Kits on the other hand have been mostly online, but predominantly DragonUSAonline.com for their constant sales and ebay. If I had to pick a name it would be Lotsofmodels on ebay. He has a web site as well, if you wish to avoid ebay. Can I say ebay one more time?
ChurchSTSV
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2018 - 09:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

For modeling supplies I was lucky enough to have a HobbyTownUSA within a reasonable distance. A few things I got online and I cleaned Hobby Lobby out of the Vallejo range and Tamiya ETC, but mostly brick'n'mortar.

Kits on the other hand have been mostly online, but predominantly DragonUSAonline.com for their constant sales and ebay. If I had to pick a name it would be Lotsofmodels on ebay. He has a web site as well, if you wish to avoid ebay. Can I say ebay one more time?

...so eBay?

I do look at ebay almost exclusively when it comes to sets. I tried Amazon but the prices are hilarious.
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2018 - 01:56 PM UTC
I use Hobby Lobby for day to day supplies but I make most of my purchases on-line. Get on the distribution list for as many of the on-stores you can handle. One of them is always having sells and purchase the most you can to lower your shipping cost per item.

As for kits, it helps to know what your next build will be so you can look to see if there is even a kit out there. Most times I window shop by starting with Amazon (I find a lot a great deals from third party vendors), if I find something I check its history on Scalemates.com. Most times Scalemates will list the price a on-line hobby store is asking for the kit. Then I check e-bay (be careful, some vendors on e-bay sell kits marked down but charge a higher shipping fee), Freetime, Squadron, Hobbylink Japan, Lots of Models, and various other on-line stores. I take into account shipping and taxes. Don't be fool by these free shipping offers, the price of shipping is in-bedded in the price of the kit. Most times you will see that the cost of kit plus shipping will be less then a kit with free shipping. Not by much but sometime a few dollars.

Being patient paid off on Amazon last week with a third party vendor. I was able to pick up a 1/350 IJN Aircraft carrier that been priced at $265 dollars plus $30 for shipping for the past six months listed for $92 dollar with shipping. An hour later it was back up to $265. That was one sweet purchase. The money saved paid for some nice upgrades which were 50% off at a sale at a another on-line store.

I am glad to be living in America instead of Canada, shipping there could cost as much as the kit not counting taxes and currency exchange.

Mark
ghauser
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 158 posts
Model Shipwrights: 123 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 01:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Being patient paid off on Amazon last week with a third party vendor. I was able to pick up a 1/350 IJN Aircraft carrier that been priced at $265 dollars plus $30 for shipping for the past six months listed for $92 dollar with shipping. An hour later it was back up to $265. That was one sweet purchase. The money saved paid for some nice upgrades which were 50% off at a sale at a another on-line store.

Mark

I found a deal like that on Amazon several times and then the retailer came back a few days later and said there was a pricing error and would not honor the sale, or that the item was no longer in stock

Greg
ctkwok
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 197 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 01:51 AM UTC
Scalehobbyist.com has some of the best prices around . They have basically a $10 flat rate so I shop in bulk.
nkinnear
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 02:12 AM UTC
Scalehobbyist is also my first choice.

But I also use Spruebrothers.com and Freetimehobbies.com.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Model Shipwrights: 173 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 02:58 AM UTC
Sprue Brothers, hands down for me. Fast service, good prices, excellent selection. But then again, we have a couple of excellent LHS where I live, so I only use Sprue Brothers when I need something they don't carry.
VR, Russ
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 02:58 AM UTC
I order most often from Aurora Hobbies, and Dawn Grocery Store. As both of these stores (owned by the same owner) are located in Mainland China, Chinese manufactured kits are very reasonable in price (no import taxes or tariffs), and mostly include shipping charges, which makes them $10 to $20 less than elsewhere. Both of these stores are very reliable and trustworthy, although delivery time can take from 1 - 2 months. Being located in China may be an issue for some.
ChurchSTSV
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 03:50 AM UTC
All these excellent responses!!

I do have Scalehobbyist.com in my favorites and do have an active profile on Scalemates. Scalemates sure is handy when hunting down info on kits!!

great stuff guys!!
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 04:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Mark

I found a deal like that on Amazon several times and then the retailer came back a few days later and said there was a pricing error and would not honor the sale, or that the item was no longer in stock

Greg

I thought of that each time I come across a sale like that but each sale went through and the kits were delivered. Received an email from Amazon last Monday saying the kit was shipped.

Mark
ghauser
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 158 posts
Model Shipwrights: 123 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2018 - 07:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Mark

Greg

I thought of that each time I come across a sale like that but each sale went through and the kits were delivered. Received an email from Amazon last Monday saying the kit was shipped.

Mark

That is awesome! I wish mine had turned out that way!
j76lr
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,081 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2018 - 07:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Scalehobbyist is also my first choice.

But I also use Spruebrothers.com and Freetimehobbies.com.

SCALEHOBBYIST TOO . I LIKE THE EASE OF THEIR SITE TOO. SPRUE BROS AND SQUADRON NEXT . FOR PAINT I USE HOBBY LINK IN ATLANTA. I WISH WE HAD SOME LHS!
 _GOTOTOP