_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Lindberg™ HMS KGV
ChurchSTSV
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 350 posts
Model Shipwrights: 175 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2018 - 09:38 AM UTC
Well my first ship is complete. I will tell yea: this kit is every bit a throwback to the less detailed days of modeling. A whole 2 sprues and a hull, It allowed me to try many things I have learned from this site for the first time.

Many of these photos I have used in other threads but here we go!

Humble beginnings out of the box

I painted the whole thing grey to get the hull and the deck bits at once.

I then proceeded to paint the deck by hand (which was dumb) as to avoid having to mask off all the little bits. Took forever and honestly, really wasn't happy with the coverage the Vallejo did with a brush.

ChurchSTSV
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2018 - 09:56 AM UTC
Then I had to get cracking on my first ever hull paint job!! I cringe looking at my first attempt with that super think Tamiya tape. Ugh

Then masked that tape and sprayed down straight hull red

And you get this:

Look how thick and odd shaped that boot is. Ugh. I hated it as soon as I removed the tape.

Little mock up of what I had so far:

THEN, because I am an idiot, I tried to weather the ship without any protection whatsoever. The enamels made short work of this paintjob.

One quick rinse with windex later

So I approached it a different way. I got some Tamiya 2mm tape and painted the whole hull black. Then taped off the boot and painted the gray above it. Then I mixed some flat red with some hull red and repainted the lower hull.

Ahhh. Much better. Then I sprayed it with some Dullcote™ and did some weathering using some enamels and glued her together. When applying the second coat of Dullcote, she kind of tumbled off the tool I was using and landed on the ground. But she is tough and held together!

I tried my hand at some dry brushing on the little stands

here is some KGV Vs. The Ground battle damage

Here is my attempt at a wood deck

And lastly, I attempted some rigging with EZ-line. I will tell ya, the EZ-line made rigging this so easy!!

And that was my first kit. There is exactly 0 aftermarket for this thing so I didn't have many options. I couldn't even drill out the big guns due to they were molded in a rectangular fashion.

Be gentle guys, It was still a ton of fun!

Criticism is always appreciated

TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2018 - 01:41 PM UTC
Hi Charlie,

My compliments on a completed build. I start many more than I actually finish, so respect for actually finishing one!

Don't worry if it doesn't seem perfect to you - did you have fun with it? You did? - then SUCCESS!

I built the companion to this one, the Lindberg Scharnhorst, many years ago. Even though it wasn't perfect, it was a kick, and I learned a lot. My next one was fun too, and it was a little better. Keep on, learn each time, get better ...but most of all, keep having fun with them!

timmyp
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 496 posts
Model Shipwrights: 404 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2018 - 09:45 PM UTC
Looks nice! I'm surprised that a wash-down with Windex took all the paint off the hull!

Tim
ChurchSTSV
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2018 - 04:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Charlie,

My compliments on a completed build. I start many more than I actually finish, so respect for actually finishing one!

Don't worry if it doesn't seem perfect to you - did you have fun with it? You did? - then SUCCESS!

I built the companion to this one, the Lindberg Scharnhorst, many years ago. Even though it wasn't perfect, it was a kick, and I learned a lot. My next one was fun too, and it was a little better. Keep on, learn each time, get better ...but most of all, keep having fun with them!

I did have a lot of fun!! My only frustration came from not knowing the painting steps but I got that figured out!!

I already have that 1/426 USS Arizona on deck next and a few 1/700 in transit from the model homeland (China).
ChurchSTSV
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2018 - 04:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks nice! I'm surprised that a wash-down with Windex took all the paint off the hull!

Tim

I was too but happy it did, just came right off. It was great.
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2018 - 07:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I already have that 1/426 USS Arizona on deck next...

You will like the Revell Arizona. While not without its flaws, that old 1961 kit is worlds better than the Lindberg KGV!
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2018 - 01:59 PM UTC
Charlie,

A fine looking finish you have there. Lindberg kits are a challenge but they so inexpensive that they make great practice material. I had one that used half a tube of putty just to close the gaps on the hull and deck.

Mark
ChurchSTSV
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2018 - 03:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Charlie,

A fine looking finish you have there. Lindberg kits are a challenge but they so inexpensive that they make great practice material. I had one that used half a tube of putty just to close the gaps on the hull and deck.

Mark

Thanks Mark

It was a lot of fun and honestly, I am my own worse critic. But I am glad at least the deck turned out ok.
 _GOTOTOP