Information and posts on site contests.
Competition at SMW 2018, Telford.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2018 - 10:23 PM UTC
A few pictures of ships in the competition at SMW 2018, Telford.

A few shots of the IPMS London stand's ships, one or two you may recognise.

Not all mine, I am slowly infecting one or two members with a love of ship modelling.

This one was uilt by alen Blythe, one of youe members, and took silver last year.

The sinking Ark Royal, above is his as well, also took silver.

Cheers

Si
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2018 - 11:24 PM UTC
Thanks for sharing Si

great to see the salty side represented so well!

Yes a few there I recognize!

Also a few other interesting things such as the Ark Royal. Haven't seen too many of them built yet.

Was really excited by Airfix's announcement of a 1/24 Hellcat! Will be adding that to the stash next the 1/24 Tiffy!

One year I hope to make it to Telford. It's on my bucket list along with things like Cosford, FAA and RAF museums, Portsmouth etc... One day
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2018 - 12:58 AM UTC
Si,

Thanks for the sharing your photos. There is some amazing work on display and I agree with Russell that it is nice to see the salty side so will represented.
Now I need to figure out how I can convince the wife to visit England in November.

Mark
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,481 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,332 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2018 - 01:50 AM UTC
Si,

Thanks for sharing those great pics. I echo what Russell and Mark said about the salty side being represented.

Would love to make it to Telford one year..hmmm

Dave
Quincannon
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 275 posts
Model Shipwrights: 273 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2018 - 05:46 AM UTC
Simon: Who in your club did the Dragon, Benson/Gleaves/Livermore DD in all navy blue? Classic depiction of a great class of destroyers.

A Kearny DD432 of the Gleaves/Livermore sub-class is very high on my must do list.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 - 03:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for sharing Si

Also a few other interesting things such as the Ark Royal. Haven't seen too many of them built yet.

Was really excited by Airfix's announcement of a 1/24 Hellcat! Will be adding that to the stash next the 1/24 Tiffy!

One year I hope to make it to Telford. It's on my bucket list along with things like Cosford, FAA and RAF museums, Portsmouth etc... One day

You are welcome Russ,

The Ark in the comp was the only one I can recall seeing there, odd, mind you I haven't started mine. Likely when I have finished the Intrepid.

Only sorry I didn't get time to take the ships on some of the club and SIG stands.

The 24th Hellcat looks really good, and it will have Fleet air Arm markings in the box!

Cheers

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 - 03:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Si,

Thanks for the sharing your photos. There is some amazing work on display and I agree with Russell that it is nice to see the salty side so will represented.
Now I need to figure out how I can convince the wife to visit England in November.

Mark

Pleasure Mark,

I think there is a small but noticeable resurgence in ship modelling this year, a good selection of traders selling ship kits and accessories, a good few models on the club stands, and in the competition.

Good luck with convincing the management, it is worth the trip, especially as thee are quite a few museums worth visiting as well.

Cheers

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 - 03:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Si,

Thanks for sharing those great pics. I echo what Russell and Mark said about the salty side being represented.

Would love to make it to Telford one year..hmmm

Dave

You are welcome Dave,

Hope you do make it one year soon, it is a great weekend.

Cheers

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 - 04:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Simon: Who in your club did the Dragon, Benson/Gleaves/Livermore DD in all navy blue? Classic depiction of a great class of destroyers.

A Kearny DD432 of the Gleaves/Livermore sub-class is very high on my must do list.

Hi Chuck,

That is the USS Laffey, She is one I built a couple of years back for the Guadalcanal Campaign on this site.

Nice little kit.

Cheers

Si
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2018 - 12:34 PM UTC
[/quote]

Good luck with convincing the management, it is worth the trip, especially as thee are quite a few museums worth visiting as well.

Cheers

Si
[/quote]

Visited two years ago and spent one day in Portsmouth to see the Victory, Mary Rose and Warrior. Wife had to drag me back to the train station. The visit was a dream come true.

Mark
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2018 - 12:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Cheers

Si
[/quote]

Visited two years ago and spent one day in Portsmouth to see the Victory, Mary Rose and Warrior. Wife had to drag me back to the train station. The visit was a dream come true.

Mark [/quote]

Glad to hear you have made it at least once. Portsmouth is one of my favourite places to visit.

Hope yo see you at Telford some time Mate.

Cheers

Si
Littorio
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2018 - 05:16 AM UTC
Si,

Missed you at the show but thanks for the competion photos as I didn't go in the area but no photos of the scratch built 1/72 USS Arizona that was on a club stand!

If I can find a way to download them off my camera then I'll post them up. My home computer has not been turned on for over a year, I either use the one at work or my tablet at home.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2018 - 08:42 AM UTC
Hi Luciano,

Apologies for missing you, but I was stuck on the Fleet Air Arm Sig, out in the Foyer. Only two of us there to cover it, we are usually next to the U.S. Naval Aviation Sig, and we share cover between us, had intended to go round Sunday afternoon When it had quietened down to snap the stands, just ran out of time.

Cheers

Si

RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2018 - 08:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks for sharing Si

You are welcome Russ,

The Ark in the comp was the only one I can recall seeing there, odd, mind you I haven't started mine. Likely when I have finished the Intrepid.

Only sorry I didn't get time to take the ships on some of the club and SIG stands.

The 24th Hellcat looks really good, and it will have Fleet air Arm markings in the box!

Cheers

Si

Yup that 1/24th Hellcat's definitely going into the stash to be done with FAA markings!

You know it's funny, I won't buy their old 1/24 range, but the new stuff, hell yeah! Here's hoping Airfix do new tools of the spit and hurri!
StephenLarsen
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 67 posts
Model Shipwrights: 41 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2018 - 12:40 AM UTC
Thank you, Si!

Nicely photographed, too!
Littorio
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2018 - 04:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Cheers

Si

Yup that 1/24th Hellcat's definitely going into the stash to be done with FAA markings!

You know it's funny, I won't buy their old 1/24 range, but the new stuff, hell yeah! Here's hoping Airfix do new tools of the spit and hurri!

Russell, while talking to the Airfix team at the show I was informed that the Hellcat will come with 2X US Navy, 1X French and 1X Royal Navy (although that should read Fleet Air Arm but they called it Royal Navy).
They said the main target with this kit is the US market.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2018 - 06:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank you, Si!

Nicely photographed, too!

Thanks Stephen,

Kind of you to say so.

Cheers

Si
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2018 - 06:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Cheers

Si

Russell, while talking to the Airfix team at the show I was informed that the Hellcat will come with 2X US Navy, 1X French and 1X Royal Navy (although that should read Fleet Air Arm but they called it Royal Navy).

Hi Luciano,

Heard that from them too, apparently they sold more 1/24th Typhoons in the U.S. than they did in the UK.

If we do see anything else in this scale, likely it will also be aimed at that market.

Cheers

Si
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2018 - 08:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Cheers

Si

Hi Luciano,

Heard that from them too, apparently they sold more 1/24th Typhoons in the U.S. than they did in the UK.

If we do see anything else in this scale, likely it will also be aimed at that market.

Cheers

Si

not that there's anything wrong with that

So many great planes deserving of 1/24th love, not just those that served in the ETO

Wouldn't mind seeing a 1/24 Corsair
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2018 - 08:15 PM UTC
[/quote]

not that there's anything wrong with that

So many great planes deserving of 1/24th love, not just those that served in the ETO

Wouldn't mind seeing a 1/24 Corsair [/quote]

Not disagreeing with you mate, I was just a little surprised.

Corsair, great idea. would be nice if they included wing tips for an FAA version.

They did serve with the British Pacific fleet.

Cheers

Si
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2018 - 09:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Not disagreeing with you mate, I was just a little surprised.

Corsair, great idea. would be nice if they included wing tips for an FAA version.

They did serve with the British Pacific fleet.

Cheers

Si

Yer, I reckon you're right- a lot of us were caught off guard by it. Quite similar to the Typhoon in a lot of respects, although I suspect the Hellcat will be a slow burn success for Airfix, gaining momentum over time...

I reckon that the F4U Corsair is a strong contender for the follow up given that it also served in the FAA... What next after that? Maybe a Zero? Oooo!
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 22, 2018 - 11:37 PM UTC
Thanks for taking some great Pics Simon.....Cheers mark
RedDuster
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2018 - 12:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for taking some great Pics Simon.....Cheers mark

You're Welcome Mark,

It was an excellent weekend, just a pity I didn't have time to cover the club stands too.

Cheers

Si
 _GOTOTOP