_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Building the AMG 1/35 NK-27 Speedboat
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2019 - 03:51 PM UTC
Hi everyone.

Will I wait impatiently for my paints to arrive for my Wodney I am filling in time building smaller builds I hope take less time than a full-on big build.

After finishing the Barchino, the Seehund, a target I will not mention and most of a 1/48 FJ-4 Fury (which I will not sully these pages with as t is a wingy thing) I walked up to the MKSA (Model Kit Storage Area) and picked out another couple of kits I hope won't be finished before the paints get here. I made my way back to the hobby room and inspected the contents of both kits and decided to go with the never=before-built -on-MSW-kit (I think), the AMG 1/35 Soviet Navy Speed Boat NK-27.

As the banner on the box-lid shows this in one of only 1000 kits of this little soviet skimmer, but that didn't stop them producing another 1000 with a different boxing and camo. There are a total of 4 sorues in the box..

These were one sprue before I removed the hull halves. Don't ask me why the didn't make the small hull one piece. Then there were a PE fret, some diecast parts and accessories and some decals..

Then a stand base and instructions..

If you don't like lots of test fitting and sanding with your models I wouldn't recommend this kit. The is a bit of flash as well which you expect in limited run kits..

I started by completely ignoring the instructions and assembling the hull halves.

The item I am using to hold the halves together is a bunch of string magnets and a sheet of thi steel. You assemble the bits using the magnets as clamps and the add glue to melt the plastic and fuse the parts together, hopefully in the right shape.. I have had this tool for about 4 years now and this is the first time I have used it.

That's it for now. I should, repeat should, have another update this evening then they will stop as I will be away enjoying myself.

Cheers
Warren
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2019 - 06:36 PM UTC
Well, here is the update I promised.

Where do I start. Have you ever built a kit that makes you guess where assemblies go? How about building assemblies and then never mentioning them in the instructions again? Not mentioning PE parts when they should be used, except maybe for an enigmatic question mark in the instructions?

Putting the things together can be a pain, but you expect that in limited run kits.

Here is the cockpit of the boat being built..

This major assembly is never mentioned again in the instructions, I can easily work it out but that is not the point. What about the box type structure you have to build. Where does that go? I have no idea as it is not shown in the instructions again.

And the detail on the engine is a little soft, but it is fine..

See the crappy fan? Well after gluing it in place I realised there is a very nice PE alternative, but I am not going to bother fitting it. Why? Because there is no guidance where the motor is supposed to go. You have to guess.

It isn't sounding good is it yet I want a model of this little mosquito in the German's side so I will continue. There is no painting guide for anything in the engine room. In this case I am just going to glue the hatches shut and forget the engine.

It could have been a really good kit with just a little more effort before it was released.

BTW, I made a phopar in the title of the blog. It is an NKL-27.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2019 - 04:01 AM UTC
Because there is no guidance where the motor is supposed to go. You have to guess. [Quoted]

Judging by the flat spot to the rear of the engine, on what looks to be the transmission housing; and considering the molded hump at the front of the cockpit, I would try test fitting the engine to the front wall of the cockpit. See how that lines up with any deck access hatch(es). Just my two cents. Al
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2019 - 06:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Because there is no guidance where the motor is supposed to go. You have to guess. [Quoted]

Judging by the flat spot to the rear of the engine, on what looks to be the transmission housing; and considering the molded hump at the front of the cockpit, I would try test fitting the engine to the front wall of the cockpit. See how that lines up with any deck access hatch(es). Just my two cents. Al

Tried that mate... doesn't fit.. I am taking the easy way oout and cementing the hatches shut!
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2019 - 02:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Tried that mate... doesn't fit.. I am taking the easy way oout and cementing the hatches shut!

Probably your best bet. Al
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2019 - 08:40 AM UTC
Due to ongoing problems with this kit I have put it aside for a while until I get motivated enough to attack it again.
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2019 - 01:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Due to ongoing problems with this kit I have put it aside for a while until I get motivated enough to attack it again.

I know what you mean. It seems I have almost as many "temporarily suspended" (sometimes for YEARS) builds as those I'm actively working on. But why not? This is all just for fun anyway, right?!
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2019 - 06:41 AM UTC
Correct Tim, but normally I would never delay a build just because it was a PIA, but this one.... sheesh!
 _GOTOTOP