_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling: Super-detailing
Topics on photo-etch, metal-parts, and all types of additional detailing.
questions about the 1/700th USS Hornet ship
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
Model Shipwrights: 32 posts
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2019 - 03:42 PM UTC
I'm in the process of purchasing some super detailed PE sets for my Tamiya 1/700th USS Hornet. I've looked at free time hobbies,white ensign,Toms model works,Amazon and Ebay.But for some reason there is A LOT of detailed PE sets that I'm looking for in 1/700th for the Hornet,the problem is that all these PE sets are for the Trumpeter kit!
So,now that you know what I'm talking about,is there a big difference when it comes to the super detailed PE sets for Tamiya and Trumpeter kits?

Unless,you guys know of any companies out there that sells detailed PE sets for the Tamiya 1/700th USS Hornet,I may have to go with the super detailed PE set for the Trumpeter kit,I just don't know!
I really like this kit but for some reason the companies that get the so called "super detailed PE sets" that I've found so far are Fujimi and Trumpeter.
So if you could please help in trying to figure this out,I would be grateful for any and all information given.
Thank you.
Quincannon
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 275 posts
Model Shipwrights: 273 posts
Posted: Friday, May 24, 2019 - 04:55 PM UTC
Neither Hornet kit is accurate.The Tamiya Hornet is under scale which may mean that any PE set designed for the Trumpeter kit is not going to do you any good at all.

The Trumpeter kit has an incorrect bow, and some will say they find inaccuracy in other parts of the hull as well. The good thing with the Trumpeter kit is that they have the forward part of the flight deck correct, where Tamiya does not.

Were it me I would go with the Trumpeter Hornet. Don't think the bow is all that bad if mounted on some sort of a sea base. The flight deck is correct though, and that would be my decision point.

Hope it all works out for you, and let me recommend the Ship Craft "Yorktown Class Carriers". If you can find a copy it will be a valuable reference for your build.
thathaway3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 1,610 posts
Model Shipwrights: 566 posts
Posted: Monday, June 10, 2019 - 02:27 AM UTC
One comment about the build. As I'm sure you know, the appearance of a ship varies over time as equipment is added and removed, so depending on when you're modeling the ship will drive some of your choices.

It's a small detail, however one thing to note when adding the PE radar sets if you plan on depicting the ship during the Doolittle raid as opposed to later on in the war.

"In the summer of 1942, following the Battle of Midway, USS Hornet (CV-8) had a second-hand CXAM (reportedly that removed from USS California -- see above) installed on her tripod foremast, where it replaced a smaller antenna, probably that of an SC type. The latter was remounted on the ship's after mast. The CXAM remained on board the ship for the remainder of her career, sinking with her during the October 1942 Battle of the Santa Cruz Islands."

So you shouldn't mount the large CXAM "bed spring" antenna if you're doing a Doolittle version. It may look nice, but it wasn't mounted until later.
 _GOTOTOP