_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Atlantic Group Build-- SonOfAVet
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 547 posts
Model Shipwrights: 132 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 03:21 PM UTC
Howdy everybody, long time no post.

I have been very busy with work and school and family, but here is my progress for the group build.

i have been building up the USS Olympia now...and have quick a bit of clean up...alot of fit problems and flash. As you can see in the pics there are many lil posts for the railings..only problem is many are broken and then a few more while assembling. Not a good design idea in my opinion.

Ask me any questions...it really is fun being in a group build--my first

Sean
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 04:18 PM UTC
I think your kit is from the same company that I built a USS Maine from many years ago. As I remember it has terrible fit and finsih. Looks to me like you're doing a good job of making a silks purse out of a sows ear. Keep the pics coming.,
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Model Shipwrights: 58 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 04:20 AM UTC
SofV - What paint scheme are you going to use? Pre-war white and tan or war-time gray?

Jeff
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 09:19 AM UTC
Ranger--

Good question, I was leaning toward white and tan--pre-war. However, would this interfear with the Atlantic theme since I thought that her service in the Atlantic was post-Pacific service.

Sean
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,290 posts
Model Shipwrights: 58 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 02:42 PM UTC
The US Fleet did return to the white paint after the Spanish-American War. Remember the stories of President Teddy Roosevelt sending the "Great White Fleet" around the world?
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, April 02, 2004 - 11:27 AM UTC
Revell is the producer of this here kit. There are many of the common pitfalls-- flash, ejector pin marks, crummy fit etc etc...However I am still impressed with the subject and the detail of the hull. I know the Maine is probally in plastic, but I dont recall seeing the Olympia that often if ever. Its just fun building a kit that is off beat and has so much history.

Ranger-- Thats why I would like to paint the ship white. The Great White Fleet is exactly what I wanted a piece of! Maybe one of the campaign leaders could do a ruling on this for me so I can get the paint scheme picked out.

Sean
 _GOTOTOP