_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Help with Diesel Tug
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, April 02, 2004 - 04:34 AM UTC
Okay you old salts...I hope I'm correct in posting this here although this isn't about a "warship"...
I am working on the Lindberg Diesel Tug in 1/82 Scale (no laughing!). I'm building this model to go along with the nautical theme I have going in my newly remodeled basement.
Anyway, my initial plan was to build it OOB, but I'd like to dress it up with some additional detail and weathering. I need suggestions on what types of things I can throw on deck (or elsewhere) that would go along with tug "duties" (for lack of a better term). I'm thinking of a tug in New York Harbor or something similar. This isn't going to be a dio...just the tug (fictional) itself on some kind of stand, which I could use some suggestions on as well.
I'd like to know what size scale "ropes" to use...where can I get the rigging and/or ropes and additional details in 1/82 scale...things like that.
By any miraculous chance is there a PE set for this model? (again, no laughing!)...I don't mind scratch building some things either, as long as I have reference materials. Thanks!
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Friday, April 02, 2004 - 08:34 AM UTC
I can't speak from personal experience but over on modelwarships.com there was a question as far as boarding nets and hammocks on a 1/100 scale ship. I'd think the difference between 1/100 and 1/82 shouldn't be too large. One suggestion was to use a material called "tulle" found in craft stores. I gather it's a kind of lace material. I would think you could use this to do the rope fenders on the sides and such. I would also think this would give you a good idea on how thick the robes should be. You might give it a try.

We're pretty informal over here at "Warships" forum. Don't worry it's not a warship. It floats, that's the main thing.

TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,718 posts
Model Shipwrights: 26 posts
Posted: Friday, April 02, 2004 - 10:15 AM UTC
Hi,

A tug will have lot of ropes on deck both wires and 'soft' ropes.

I don't know what type of tug it's that one you are modelling but, ropes can be very thick acording with the size of ships the tug will handle.

11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, April 02, 2004 - 01:06 PM UTC
Thanks guys. Keep the suggestions coming....I need all the help I can get...

I'm thinking of trying to find some "tires" to tie to the sides of the tug...any suggestions on what scale I could find those?
Bugbrains
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 28 posts
Posted: Friday, April 02, 2004 - 02:48 PM UTC
Here is a good source of maritime HO scale (1/87) details

http://www.valleymodeltrains.com/502ho.html

These might be of interest too. Just striip off the tires and throw away the rest of the model

http://www.valleymodeltrains.com/630ho.html

I've ordered from this shop before....no problems.

There are two recent tugboat pictures in my gallery...they might be of help determining rope size and ideas. If you need more photos let me know.

Bugbrains
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, April 02, 2004 - 04:41 PM UTC
Thanks Bugbrains...I really appreciate the leads....
boatswain
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 53 posts
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2004 - 04:25 AM UTC
11Charlie,

Depending on how far from Cleveland you live, you could always take a trip to Lake Erie to see some actual tugs and get some pictures of what they have on deck.
As for other reference material, try going here:
www.greatlakesmodeling.com/index.htm

If a trip to Cleveland is too far from where you live in Ohio, let me know 'cause I live right on Lake Erie and I could always take a trip down to the docks to see what kind of photos I could get for you.

11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, April 05, 2004 - 12:11 PM UTC
Boatswain,

Thanks so much for the offer. I live in Cincinnati...about as far as you can possibly get to the river. In fact if the trees weren't in the way, I could see it. I get to see the river everyday as I'm cruising the beat. I think I'm about five hours or so from Cleveland, maybe a little less.
I don't want to put you out, but if you happen to get down to the docks, I would love some pictures as reference.
Don't know if you do armor and/or aircraft, but I live an hour from from the Air Force Museum and I'm planning to go in May or June. I could take some pictures for you as well. I hope to hit the Armor museum later this year also...I'm about two and half hours from there.
I'll give the Great Lakes Modeling site a look-see as well. Maybe thay will have some good photo's of the Edmund Fitgerald also(I'm a real "Fitz" buff). I am going to do that ship someday, even if I have to build it from scratch. I'll be collecting reference material on the "Fitz" for quite some time....I know of only one "kit" out there. A resin kit that cost over $700...when I checked at a hobby shop in Columbus last year. Don't remember who made it, but it was a pretty good sized kit.
boatswain
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 53 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 12:03 AM UTC
11Charlie,

Actually the wife and I are planning a trip down to the Cleveland "Flats" this weekend to get pictures of some of the "big" boats that are starting to arrive with cargo now that the Lake is no longer frozen. Kind of a side hobby of ours. If I see any tugs, I will get some pictures and send you some via P.M.

There are a great many sites out there that have reference material on the Fitzgerald. I think that Great Lakes Modeling has some stuff too. Somewhere out there I have seen kits of the Fitzgerald that won't break the bank. This site has a 1/700 scale resin w/P.E. for only $75.00:
www.commanderseries.com/ships.htm

My wife does research on shipwrecks, (just one of her strange hobbies) and has various books on the Edmund Fitzgerald. Some of them have some good pictures, as well as historical detail about the ship. I will send some titles your way so that you have sort of a starting point of things to look for.
11Charlie
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 12:50 PM UTC
Boatswain,

Thank you! I have a couple books on the Fitzgerald, but would love to know what else is out there. I've also checked out a few sites and will definately be checking out that site for the model...that would be awesome! Thanks again and I look forward to any photo's you can get.
 _GOTOTOP