_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling: Super-detailing
Topics on photo-etch, metal-parts, and all types of additional detailing.
Of Anchors and Ground Tackle
SpurnWater71
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 76 posts
Model Shipwrights: 73 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 14, 2019 - 06:56 AM UTC
As we look back on our hobby over the last decade, great strides have been made in the amount of detail provided in off the shelf kits. Even more so, the aftermarket accessories and scratch building materials available add superb detail. Where do we go next?

One area that is ripe for improvement, I suggest, is in the area of anchors and ground tackle.

While most kit manufacturers get the port and starboard bower anchors correct, and some the sheet anchor as well, rarely does one see streaming, stern, and kedge anchors included. In 1/350 scale, my preference, these are still good size parts.

Also, other parts of the ground tackle (Blake and screw stoppers for example) are molded on to the deck in poor detail - today's equivalent of "blobs of plastic" and "Inca temple ladders" of the past. Might not this be another area the after market suppliers could address? Some other ground tackle items, like hawse pipe cover plates, rollers, and brake mechanism are typically missing altogether - another opportunity.

I've modified bower anchor so that the shackle at the top is a separate piece but an aftermarket stockless battleship anchor set with separate shackle, shank, and fluke parts would be a nice enhancement.

What does everyone think? Are you interested in super-detailing foc'sle ground tackle?
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2019 - 02:18 AM UTC
Maybe 3D printing companies can address this issue.
SpurnWater71
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 76 posts
Model Shipwrights: 73 posts
Posted: Monday, July 15, 2019 - 01:30 PM UTC
Good idea, I queried a few not long ago. No news yet.

I asked them for an assortment of sizes and types in one package rather than a ship-specific kit that would have just a few anchors. Something similar to a generic PE doors and hatches or generic PE ladders set
 _GOTOTOP