_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
1/350 T2 Tanker
rdt1953
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
Model Shipwrights: 34 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2019 - 08:26 AM UTC
Hi all - does anyone offer a T2 fleet oiler/ tanker in 1/350 ? I would prefer injection but resin would suffice . I am aware of the old Revell kit in 1/400 but would much prefer newer in 1/350 .
Thanks - Richard
Black_sheep
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 823 posts
Model Shipwrights: 551 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2019 - 05:25 PM UTC
Richard, as far as I am aware there is no tanker in 1:350 available at the moment. I would also love to build a tanker in this scale but it looks like we have to wait.
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 20, 2019 - 09:18 PM UTC
The only tankers of any type that I’m aware of are the resin ones from Iron Shipwrights their kits are not cheap and they do require work, do not expect Tamiya quality. However if they have what you need and no one else does bite the bullet.

The basic Hull is normally pretty good as are any large mouldings, it’s normally some of the small add on detail that you may need to replace with either scratch build or replacement AM stuff.

Edit: they do a T2 tanker/oiler USS Kennebec AO-36
Quincannon
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 275 posts
Model Shipwrights: 273 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2019 - 01:56 AM UTC
Before you jump on that tanker by ISW get hold of Mardis Hall and ask him about the do's and don'ts of ISW products. A lot of the stuff he shows here are from ISW and he makes excellent models from their kits.

All I can tell you is that Jon at ISW is a very nice fellow, and was very helpful to me when I called to inquire about another one of their products. They advertise full hull models, but will do waterline on request, it just takes a few days longer.
SpurnWater71
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 76 posts
Model Shipwrights: 73 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2019 - 02:30 AM UTC
Richard raises a interesting modeling subject that I hope injection manufacturers take notice of. The numerous T2 gives rise to many modeling opportunities, such as a underway replenishment diorama. Their long service careers would make for interesting updated versions - with a little research and scratch building perhaps.

I'd want to see the T2-SE-A1 in a U.S. Navy oiler configuration released first, followed by a T2-SE-A1 tanker version.

T2s would be an excellent addition to any 1/350 model fleet.
Quincannon
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 275 posts
Model Shipwrights: 273 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2019 - 02:56 AM UTC
While we are dreaming on this beautiful Sunday morning, why not a Curtiss or Currituck class seaplane tender, complete with a couple of Catalina's and suitable plastic molded sea base to mount them on
rdt1953
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
Model Shipwrights: 34 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2019 - 03:20 AM UTC
Thanks to everyone for their responses . My reason for asking about the T2 is I would someday like to do a diorama of the Pendleton rescue . That means I only need the stern section and it would be beneficial if it were hollow as the hull interior will be partially exposed due to the fact that the ship broke in two so besides the cost the Iron Shipwrights ' kit with it's solid hull would complicate that aspect.

I could certainly make do with the old Revell offering - it would need a scratch built lower hull as it is a semi - waterline hull IIRC. The downside would be photo etch in 1/400 scale - railings , figures etc. Does anyone know if these are available in 1/400 ?
Cheers - Richard
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Model Shipwrights: 173 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 21, 2019 - 12:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks to everyone for their responses . My reason for asking about the T2 is I would someday like to do a diorama of the Pendleton rescue . That means I only need the stern section and it would be beneficial if it were hollow as the hull interior will be partially exposed due to the fact that the ship broke in two so besides the cost the Iron Shipwrights ' kit with it's solid hull would complicate that aspect.

I could certainly make do with the old Revell offering - it would need a scratch built lower hull as it is a semi - waterline hull IIRC. The downside would be photo etch in 1/400 scale - railings , figures etc. Does anyone know if these are available in 1/400 ?
Cheers - Richard

Richard, Tom's Model Works made complete sets of generics railings, ladders, stairs, figures, doors etc. in 1/400 scale. You might start looking there.
VR, Russ
 _GOTOTOP