_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Has Merit stopped making their own brand kits
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2019 - 10:35 AM UTC
Hi all

Was looking at Merit's website yesterday and I noticed that they're no longer listing any of their own brand kits.

Does anyone know if they're still producing their own, or have they stopped?

Russ
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2019 - 04:18 AM UTC
Merit International is an American importer. I don't believe they actually produce their own stuff. AFAIK, anything with their logo on it (especially plastic kits) were produced by foreign companies. For instance, their 1/48 PT boat was certainly produced (plastic, instructions, and box) by Trumpeter/Hobby Boss with Merit logo printed on it. Maybe recent tariffs have scuttled those imports.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Model Shipwrights: 173 posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2019 - 05:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Merit International is an American importer. I don't believe they actually produce their own stuff. AFAIK, anything with their logo on it (especially plastic kits) were produced by foreign companies. For instance, their 1/48 PT boat was certainly produced (plastic, instructions, and box) by Trumpeter/Hobby Boss with Merit logo printed on it. Maybe recent tariffs have scuttled those imports.

This is true, Merit is a US distributor. One of the primary lines they carry here in the States is AFV Club/Hobby Fan. They don't have a manufacturing site, but contract their work out to other companies. Most of what Merit carries under their own label are "one shot" boxings. Occasionally (very occasionally) they can be had under other manufacturers labels, but I can't readily recall any right now,, although I believe there are some.
VR, Russ
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Model Shipwrights: 26 posts
Posted: Monday, October 14, 2019 - 07:38 AM UTC
Yes, a lot of their 1/18 planes were from 21st Century and BBI molds.
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 - 08:30 AM UTC
hmm.. yep, I always understood that Merit never actually "made" their own kits, but contracted out the manufacturing side to other companies. EG ships are from Trumpeter/Hobby Boss.

But I can't help but wonder what's happened to all those kits (and the subsequent tooling) now that Merit are no longer selling their own brand kits.

For example, does anyone know what would happen to the Ark Royal tools?
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Model Shipwrights: 173 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 - 04:45 PM UTC
Russell,
It not that they no longer sell kits-- they just don't own the molds and they contract for different subjects. Someone else will eventually release these kits, either aircraft or ship, in the future, but for Merit, these are considered "limited run" kits. They only make so many, and that's it. But, if you look around, you may find them under another label--eventually. Many of these companies have a "time elapsed" clause in their contracts-- that is, the manufacturer can't release the kit for X number of years after the original boxing.
VR, Russ
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 - 05:05 PM UTC
yep, I get what you're saying, Russ, but I don't think that's quite the case here.

Merit had a whole range of kits available under their brand name one day, then poof, the next they were all gone!

I suspect that the kits will turn up under another brand at some point, but one wonders whether they all will, or just the ones that are deemed profitable...
TracyWhite
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 527 posts
Model Shipwrights: 464 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2019 - 09:10 AM UTC
Trumpeter/HobbyBoss will re-release the ones that did well when the contract(s) allow and when they are interested. Some of the stuff that was originally slated for Merit has been released under the Hobbyboss line. If you're wanting an Ark Royal you might drop them a line and request a re-pop.
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2019 - 12:13 PM UTC
I think there's still a range of their kits still available through vendors at the moment, but that will dry up soon enough.

Sure do hope that other manufacturers pick up where Merit left off
 _GOTOTOP