_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
1/350 kit for HMAS Sydney
Naseby
Visit this Community
Slovakia
KitMaker: 825 posts
Model Shipwrights: 97 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2019 - 04:44 AM UTC
With the new line of RN cruisers from Trumpy I was wondering if there is a possibility to built one of them as the HMAS Sydney as per her configuration from the duel with KM Kormoran. Im no expert on RN stuff, so any advice is good.
ChurchSTSV
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 350 posts
Model Shipwrights: 175 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2019 - 04:53 AM UTC
I just watched the Drain The Oceans show on Nat Geo about the HMS Sydney and was wondering if I could find a good 1/700 of her too.

Besides resin because I have a mortgage and a family to pay for.
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2019 - 05:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

With the new line of RN cruisers from Trumpy I was wondering if there is a possibility to built one of them as the HMAS Sydney as per her configuration from the duel with KM Kormoran. Im no expert on RN stuff, so any advice is good.

HMAS Sydney was a modified Leander class light cruiser same class as HMS Ajax and HMNZS Achilles, in 1/350 we still don't have an injection plastic kit of a Leander. The only kit I know of in 1/350 is the resin kit from ISW.
Trumpeters kits so far announced/released are County class heavy cruisers and C-class light cruisers and HMS Belfast herself a modified Town/Southampton class light cruiser all completely different from Leanders.
1.90E_31
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 252 posts
Model Shipwrights: 89 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2019 - 08:07 AM UTC
Hi Luciano,

Our kit of the Ajax will not work for a modified Leander. However, things will be different next month.

Jon Warneke
Iron Shipwrights
Littorio
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 - 01:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Luciano,

Our kit of the Ajax will not work for a modified Leander. However, things will be different next month.

Jon Warneke
Iron Shipwrights

Thanks for the correction Jon, I didn't have access to my books or the kit while posting. Now I'm intrigued and will be watching your website with interest, mind you your 1/350 USS Atlanta kit will be hitting my door step on Friday
Naseby
Visit this Community
Slovakia
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2019 - 06:41 PM UTC
Thanks for the info guys, Im don't realy know much about Royal Navy but enjoy building their ships. Since You seem to know quite a few things about them, can I ask You how would you rate the shape accuracy of the HMS Cornwall that recently Trumpy released ? I have it in the stash and Im mostly interested in shape issues and accuracy.
Quincannon
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 275 posts
Model Shipwrights: 273 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2019 - 04:13 AM UTC
Luciano:

I hope you will start a build thread for the ISW Atlanta. I remember years ago when my father worked at Main Navy in the 1950's they had a model of an Atlanta Class Cruiser, my memory says Juneau, on display for many years. I think that is what probably got me started building ship models.

If Jon is still tuned in, a model of a 5" gun armed Buckley Class DE (like USS Darby DE 218), and a four gun Fletcher as they appeared in the 1950's and 60's would be most welcome.

I will be closely following any future build of HMAS Sydney as well.
1.90E_31
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 252 posts
Model Shipwrights: 89 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2019 - 10:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If Jon is still tuned in, a model of a 5" gun armed Buckley Class DE (like USS Darby DE 218), and a four gun Fletcher as they appeared in the 1950's and 60's would be most welcome.

I will be closely following any future build of HMAS Sydney as well.

Hi Chuck,

I hadn't thought about doing a postwar refit of a Buckley, but I'll see what I can find in plans. Same goes for the four gun Fletcher post war. We'll get working on something since we've already got the etch for both.

Jon
Quincannon
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 275 posts
Model Shipwrights: 273 posts
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2019 - 03:52 AM UTC
Jon: Darby was one of I believe six Buckleys that were refitted with 5" inch guns just prior to the end of the war. They were given heavy upgrades in 40mm guns as well. After the war a lot of the secondary guns were striped off, and they became rather handsome ships. Coolbaugh and J. Douglas Blackwood were also modified to the same standard. Can't recall the others off the top of my head.

I have a soft spot for Darby as she was for many years the Naval Reserve training ship first at Baltimore, then at Washington DC. The Robert F. Keller was also at DC. Spent a lot of time visiting aboard both.

That both are under consideration is very welcome news.

SpurnWater71
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 76 posts
Model Shipwrights: 73 posts
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2019 - 12:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

HMAS Sydney was a modified Leander class light cruiser same class as HMS Ajax and HMNZS Achilles

Just a small point, HMS Ajax and HMNZS Achilles weren't modified Leander class CLs. They were 2 of the original 5 Leanders, uniquely distinguished by their very large single funnel.

The three modified Leanders included HMAS Sydney and her sisters HMAS Perth and HMAS Hobart, equally well distinguished by their two well-separated funnels.

Eight total, close enough to be called one class but with a very visible difference between the 2 subclasses

Kip
Littorio
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2019 - 10:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Luciano:

I hope you will start a build thread for the ISW Atlanta. I remember years ago when my father worked at Main Navy in the 1950's they had a model of an Atlanta Class Cruiser, my memory says Juneau, on display for many years. I think that is what probably got me started building ship models.

Chuck, there will be a bit of a wait as there are about 5 ships in front of the Atlanta in the stash.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Model Shipwrights: 258 posts
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2019 - 12:33 AM UTC
You are right,but what about a nice 1/350 plastic option for the Kormoran also ?
Naseby
Visit this Community
Slovakia
Posted: Monday, October 21, 2019 - 02:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You are right,but what about a nice 1/350 plastic option for the Kormoran also ?

Now dont give the comrades from China any new ideas. We still dont have the USS Brooklyn.
Tanksami
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,314 posts
Model Shipwrights: 29 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2019 - 10:19 PM UTC
Hi / Kia Ora All,

So just confirming I read correctly the ISW 1/350th HMS Ajax, Will work for the HMNZS Achilles and in her Battle of River Plate configuration?

Thanks / Kapi,
Mike
 _GOTOTOP