_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
U-505 News
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 547 posts
Model Shipwrights: 132 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 09:28 AM UTC
Here is some good news, for a change, reguarding old warships-- since it seems most are just forgotten about and scrapped.

If you live in Chicago or visit here, you would know for sure about U-505, the captured German Sub that sits outside the Museum of Science and Industry downtown. And if you know anything about Chicago weather ( if you dont like the weather wait 5 minutes) German designers never had it in mind when building U-boats.

Basically the boat was rusting from the inside out..since it would be outside in the winter and heated from within--not to mention its 60 years old! I do not know who put up the cash but they are currently constructing a $35 million dollar, 35,000 square foot exhibit for it-- climate controled of course.

The exhibit will open a year from now and will allow visitors to get closer to the hull than before...and I assume you can still go through it like before. It just good to hear that we are preserving a piece of history rather than scrapping it or letting it rot.

Sean

PS- They have to move it a quarter of a mile! Look out for that traffic jam--"hey there is a U-Boat on Lake Shore Drive!"
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,055 posts
Model Shipwrights: 30 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 01:53 PM UTC
Did you get the E-newsletter about it? I signed up when I went to the Museum of S & I. Thanks for your time.
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 - 02:48 PM UTC
MEBM,
No I read it in the paper a while back and then they just had an update today...I meant to post about it a long time ago, just slipped my mind.

Sean
Havoc
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 893 posts
Model Shipwrights: 85 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 08:23 AM UTC
It's one of the many great things about Chicago! Glad to have visited it during many of my visits... And I too am glad that someone actually went against the grain and decided to preserve it rather than scrap it, which would have been the typical politically correct move of our times...

Good news!

Aloha,

Johnny B.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 10:25 AM UTC
I've always wanted to visit Chicago. Besides the U505 I want to sample REAL Chicago dogs, deep dish pizza, and BBQ ribs from the place Hawkeye brags about on MASH. I'm very glad to see them doing this. Good for you Chicago.

SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2004 - 03:21 PM UTC
Halfyank,

Let me know if you are ever in town! A REAL Chicago dog eh? Wow, so many places to go just to get a hotdog...a real hotdog, dont let new yorkers tell you other wise about their "hot dogs" or "pizza" *shudder*

Sean
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 08, 2004 - 07:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Let me know if you are ever in town! A REAL Chicago dog eh? Wow, so many places to go just to get a hotdog...a real hotdog

Don't know how "real" they are but there are places in town calling themselves Chicago Dogs. They're pretty good. The dog has a kind of snap, when you bite through the casing, and they load them up with tomatoes, pickles, celery salt, relish, mustard, NO CATSUP. I like them but wonder how they compare to something from the windy city. No, no New York style pizza for me. Give me a good deep dish any time.

_GOTOTOP