Topics on building dioramas are grouped here
Arctic ice ... best method? ...
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 464 posts
Model Shipwrights: 16 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2019 - 06:04 AM UTC
Can anyone suggest the best way to depict an arctic ice sheet? My aim is to show a submarine surfacing through the thick ice during an exercise in the Arctic.

Thanks,

Paul
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2019 - 12:04 PM UTC
This is a fairly convincing technique: melt some white, or clear, paraffin and let it cool in a large flat container like a cookie sheet (should have raised sides to prevent the paraffin from escaping!). Pour it to the depth, or thickness, that you want, depending on the scale. The top surface should be smooth and flat. Remove the cool paraffin and break it up into large, small, and tiny pieces. Place the model on the "water" surface (which should be blue-black, or just plain black) and arrange the pieces of paraffin ice on and around the model. You'll also have to add the usual water-effects such as water splash, water run-off, and wake.
pbennett
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 464 posts
Model Shipwrights: 16 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2019 - 07:46 AM UTC
Biggles,

Many thanks … that was one of the methods I was considering.

I was watching various YouTube videos of US submarines breaking through the Arctic ice (Arctic exercises 'ICEX), and thought it would be an interesting idea for a simple diorama … just a thought.

Paul
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Model Shipwrights: 20 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2019 - 02:28 PM UTC
What Biggles said...
I seem to remember seeing a Tiger through the river ice done this way from back in the day. Quite convincing even in a larger scale.
Adding the clear 'water' using Future at the edges and for pools goes a long way as well.

Looking forwards to seeing your build.
Mike
 _GOTOTOP