_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Attaching flag decals to mono rigging
ebergerud
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 297 posts
Model Shipwrights: 23 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2019 - 10:36 PM UTC
Hi
Doing another ship and want to see if I can get a tip to solve in advance a problem I've had trouble with before. I'm building the 1/700 Tamiya Bogue - and it's gong to need a few flags. I can make a decal look okay with an aluminum foil sandwich and nice and crumbled. Getting it on properly (in other words pointing toward the stern), however, has given me trouble. I'll be attaching the flags to the rigging, so I can't simply stick it to the staff. If someone knows a good way to get a decal flag to point correctly toward the stern after attached I'd sure like to hear about it.
Eric
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2019 - 01:57 AM UTC
Hi Eric,

I use the "foil sandwich" method too. Attaching the flags to halyards is fiddly but not too difficult. I use Elmer's white glue (polyvinyl acetate, or PVA) applied thinned with water with a fine paintbrush.

First I apply a little to the halyard where I want the flag to go and attach the flag right away. The glue will dry quickly but you have a little time to get it facing in the right direction before it sets. If it sets on you before you are happy with the positioning all you have to do is paint a little water on the join and you will be able to shift it again.

The joins are surprisingly strong; I finished my 1/720 USS Massachusetts over twenty years ago, and all those little flags are still holding in place just fine.
 _GOTOTOP