_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Destroyer Help!!
steve-o
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 545 posts
Model Shipwrights: 113 posts
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2004 - 06:50 AM UTC
Hi guys! I need some help on a destroyer. I am building a model of the USS LAFFEY - DD 724, and have 2 big questions...

First, the ship was an Allen M. Sumner Class Destroyer. The problem is that the bridge that came with it is the "old" British style bridge. The kit of the Gearing class destroyer had the new updated bridge, but some other things that the Sumner did not (like AA guns instead of rear torpedoes, etc. Any suggestions on how to fix the bridge? Or should I just buy both models and swap parts?

Finally, a more general question...Photo etch in 1/700 scale. Is it worth it?? The detail on the Skywave modles is impressive. But the radar, etc. could look better. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2004 - 06:57 AM UTC
As to your 2nd question I have this to offer. I haven't used it yet, but I did pick up the Tom's Modelworks P.E. set for the Tamiya Indianapolis I'm going to be making for Unsung Sisters. I'm impressed with the detail I've seen looking over the parts and comparing them to the kit parts. I think it will add a great deal. Of course the Indi is a 660 foot long cruiser, not a 376 foot destroyer. I don't know if the smaller ship would benefit as much with P.E.

_GOTOTOP