_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Submarines
Topics on submarines of all types and eras.
1/209 Revell U-505 Details
joepanzer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
Model Shipwrights: 19 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2020 - 08:22 AM UTC
Does anyone know if there is a PE set for the old Revell Kit?

Scalemates came up empty

Thanks,
Joe P
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,157 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2020 - 01:02 PM UTC
No, none that I know of.

Cheers,
joepanzer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
Model Shipwrights: 19 posts
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2020 - 01:50 AM UTC
That's what I feared.

Thanks Joe!!
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Model Shipwrights: 31 posts
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2020 - 02:17 AM UTC
This is actually an old (1961) Aurora kit. There is no specific set, but generic 1/200 or even 1/192 scale detail parts can be used.

Might be worth searching the 3d printed stuff because there are often parts for many of these older odd scale kits there.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Model Shipwrights: 173 posts
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2020 - 09:47 AM UTC
Take a look at Toms Modelworks, you might find something there. They have sets of 1/200 railings, doors, etc. Although as I recall, there isn’t a lot to the kit. I think I built it in about 1962-3 when it came in an Aurora “one size fits all” box with great art work. Here’s a link to Toms Modelworks:

http://www.tomsmodelworks.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=23&osCsid=9k5jkfmo7jlojp61fqn7pdiq16

VR, Russ
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2020 - 10:38 AM UTC
Hi Joe,

I agree with the gentlemen above, the Revell kit is a repop of Aurora's venerable 1961 "German Wolfpack U-Boat".

This kit was actually my first ship model, given to me by my parents on my sixth birthday. I loved the lurid artwork on the box, and thought it was the coolest thing ever...!

I still love the boxtop, but honestly, if you are looking to detail this kit, it may not be worth the effort. Although a basically accurate rendition of a Type IXc, the old Aurora kit has many simplified and some fanciful details. A better start around this scale might be one of the excellent Nichimo 1/200 Type IXc boats, which are inexpensive and frequently available on eBay.

If I were building the Aurora (now Revell) U-505 now, I'd just enjoy assembling it out of the box and use it to practice my painting and weathering techniques.

But whichever way you go, have fun building it!

Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Model Shipwrights: 173 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2020 - 10:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Joe,

I agree with the gentlemen above, the Revell kit is a repop of Aurora's venerable 1961 "German Wolfpack U-Boat".

This kit was actually my first ship model, given to me by my parents on my sixth birthday. I loved the lurid artwork on the box, and thought it was the coolest thing ever...!

I still love the boxtop, but honestly, if you are looking to detail this kit, it may not be worth the effort. Although a basically accurate rendition of a Type IXc, the old Aurora kit has many simplified and some fanciful details. A better start around this scale might be one of the excellent Nichimo 1/200 Type IXc boats, which are inexpensive and frequently available on eBay.

If I were building the Aurora (now Revell) U-505 now, I'd just enjoy assembling it out of the box and use it to practice my painting and weathering techniques.

But whichever way you go, have fun building it!

Not to beat a proverbial “dead horse“ here, I can still imagine the silky black plastic of the original boxing, with its sinisterly curved dive plane guides gracing my fingers back in the 60s. That art work brings back the memories. I think I built about six of them— they were the only boats that lived up to their hype in the family above ground pool— they sank realistically. Like Tim said, it’s not the most accurate, but it sure looks the part. I have the 1/200 Nichimo Type VIIc and the Type IXb boats, as well as the Nichimo I-19 Japanese sub, and they are very nice models, you can’t go wrong with them. But there is just something really neat about this old Aurora standby— you could build it in half an hour and have it on the shelf ready to launch torpedos at any hapless convoy that wandered by. But Tim’s right about the more detailed subs.
VR, Russ
 _GOTOTOP