These topics dealing with buidling bases and water effects are grouped together
Wooden ship bases
Panzer_Modeler
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 419 posts
Model Shipwrights: 146 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2020 - 07:04 AM UTC
Im new to ship modeling and most of you'll think this is a stupid question, but what is the copper colored thing called, and where can I buy, the thing that attaches the ship to your wooden base?
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,157 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2020 - 07:25 AM UTC
Hi, they are called mounting pedestals and are principally made of brass.

Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Pedestal-Brass-MS0811-Model-Building/dp/B07B8RJRRT/ref=pd_sbs_21_1/135-5982962-1202051?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07B8RJRRT&pd_rd_r=f1cb69d9-cdd5-4856-ae00-f73f594359cc&pd_rd_w=rzvRn&pd_rd_wg=1ME42&pf_rd_p=bc074051-81d1-4874-a3fd-fd0c867ce3b4&pf_rd_r=KA6MTWPRXV0PPTQDWQZV&psc=1&refRID=KA6MTWPRXV0PPTQDWQZV

Ebay and modelship suppliers.

I personally use brass tubing of different diameters and a bolt.
Drill a hole or 2 holes depending on the size of the ship, tap the hole and bolt
the ship in place.

I also use spent 9mm and .45acp pistol cartridges, which I modify accordingly.

Cheers.
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
Model Shipwrights: 220 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2020 - 07:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Im new to ship modeling and most of you'll think this is a stupid question, but what is the copper colored thing called, and where can I buy, the thing that attaches the ship to your wooden base?

To attach a full hull ship? That's a good question. I have a few ships which have ugly kit supplied bases I would like to swap for something much nicer.
Would be interested to know what people recommend too.
ejhammer
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 136 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2020 - 07:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I use lamp shade risers. I get them from the big box stores like Menards, Lowes in the lighting department. they usually come in 3 sizes.

EJ
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,080 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2020 - 07:47 AM UTC
I do the same as Joe, brass tube although I keep it the same size and then use brass rod that slides into the tube to secure it all together but allow me to remove the hull during construction.

Also have some .22LR cases and bodkin arrow heads for special projects as trying to get the .22 cases is just as hard as getting the ammo here in the UK.
Panzer_Modeler
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2020 - 07:48 AM UTC
Thanks Joe and Eugene!
phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
Model Shipwrights: 220 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2020 - 08:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I use lamp shade risers. I get them from the big box stores like Menards, Lowes in the lighting department. they usually come in 3 sizes.

EJ

These are perfect! But try as hard as I might, I can't find anyone in the UK stocking these. Every hit on Google and eBay is in the US. While the fittings themselves are cheap, P&P is always very expensive. Are these something that can only be found on that side of the pond?
Panzer_Modeler
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2020 - 09:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

EJ

These are perfect! But try as hard as I might, I can't find anyone in the UK stocking these. Every hit on Google and eBay is in the US. While the fittings themselves are cheap, P&P is always very expensive. Are these something that can only be found on that side of the pond?

Ahhh... thats just smeg man. ( who got the reference? )
Panzer_Modeler
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2020 - 09:09 AM UTC
I just ordered a whole bunch! (Sorry Stephen.)
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Model Shipwrights: 173 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2020 - 09:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ezra,
I believe the display term you seek is a finial. The lampshade nut and brass tube described above are good, but I have a few suggestions too— Is there an Ace Hardware near you? I use the brass fluted stems for plumbing from their plumbing department. They are straight at the top, and taper into a nice fluted base with threads that can be screwed right into an appropriately sized hole in the wood base. They might be a bit heavy for a 1/350 destroyer though— I run a 1/4 inch threaded rod With square nuts and washers through them to hold the model in place. Look in the plumbing department for these. Most good Ace Hardware stores also have what I call a “do-dad” hardware section where you can find a variety of tubes, posts, screws, bolts and other items that can be adopted for display. But I haven’t had the same success at Lowe’s or HD looking for similar items. It seems they carry mostly cheap imported stuff, in a smaller selection. You can also use drawer pulls with fancy bases, so check out the Ace Hardware cabinet department.

I don’t do commission builds anymore (the 1/72 USS Johnston I built was a $6K commission, the 1/350 was a $600 commission), But I sub contracted expensive display cases with a local manufacturer, and I recommend you think a display case if you’re going to do all that work. I also recommend laminating the base with two lengths of hardwood (I have my own woodworking set up, so I can cut, cove and rout bases to order). Carful choosing a wood for a base. A single piece of hardwood may be prone to warping, although in 1/350 scale, that might not be a huge issue, especially in NM. I’d shy away from softer woods like pine. Oak has a tendency to warp. Walnut and Cherry hold up the best. By the way, the 1/72 Johnston I built resides now in Phoenix, where it was shipped to the owner, the son of the Ships Surgeon during the battle of Leyte Gulf. I haven’t spoken with him in some years now, but the last time we spoke, he said the model was holding up well inside its display case despite the dry climate.
VR, Russ
Panzer_Modeler
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2020 - 10:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Ezra,
I believe the display term you seek is a finial. The lampshade nut and brass tube described above are good, but I have a few suggestions too— Is there an Ace Hardware near you? I use the brass fluted stems for plumbing from their plumbing department. They are straight at the top, and taper into a nice fluted base with threads that can be screwed right into an appropriately sized hole in the wood base. They might be a bit heavy for a 1/350 destroyer though— I run a 1/4 inch threaded rod With square nuts and washers through them to hold the model in place. Look in the plumbing department for these. Most good Ace Hardware stores also have what I call a “do-dad” hardware section where you can find a variety of tubes, posts, screws, bolts and other items that can be adopted for display. But I haven’t had the same success at Lowe’s or HD looking for similar items. It seems they carry mostly cheap imported stuff, in a smaller selection. You can also use drawer pulls with fancy bases, so check out the Ace Hardware cabinet department.

I don’t do commission builds anymore (the 1/72 USS Johnston I built was a $6K commission, the 1/350 was a $600 commission), But I sub contracted expensive display cases with a local manufacturer, and I recommend you think a display case if you’re going to do all that work. I also recommend laminating the base with two lengths of hardwood (I have my own woodworking set up, so I can cut, cove and rout bases to order). Carful choosing a wood for a base. A single piece of hardwood may be prone to warping, although in 1/350 scale, that might not be a huge issue, especially in NM. I’d shy away from softer woods like pine. Oak has a tendency to warp. Walnut and Cherry hold up the best. By the way, the 1/72 Johnston I built resides now in Phoenix, where it was shipped to the owner, the son of the Ships Surgeon during the battle of Leyte Gulf. I haven’t spoken with him in some years now, but the last time we spoke, he said the model was holding up well inside its display case despite the dry climate.
VR, Russ

Thanks Russ Really helpful!
( Ill look into a display case!)
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Model Shipwrights: 173 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2020 - 10:07 AM UTC
Ezra,
One thing about any brass finial— make sure you give it a good lacquer clearcoat (lacquer is better than enamels at clinging to metal surfaces). Any brass item will begin to tarnish and oxidize over time unless it has a protective coating of some sort. Before long it’ll go from shiny to shabby brown and finally green without that coating. Fingerprints will also show over time unless you clear coat.
VR, Russ
Panzer_Modeler
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2020 - 10:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ezra,
One thing about any brass finial— make sure you give it a good lacquer clearcoat (lacquer is better than enamels at clinging to metal surfaces). Any brass item will begin to tarnish and oxidize over time unless it has a protective coating of some sort. Before long it’ll go from shiny to shabby brown and finally green without that coating. Fingerprints will also show over time unless you clear coat.
VR, Russ

Got it!
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2020 - 11:24 AM UTC
Hi Ezra

Some great advice here... I second the display case option for ships... if you get dust on them, they're a real hassle to clean.

If you don't have a large display case for all your models, then a custom fit for just one ship may be necessary. Definitely go with a hardwood to avoid warping

An alternative to brass pedestals is the "chock" method some of us employ to avoid the additional height created by brass pedestals, so that I can fit my finished builds in my large wall display case

FWIW's I contract out the bases to a guy I know with a table saw and router, then I cut my own chocks and fit them myself. I add felt to the bottom of the base and varnish them myself to save on the cost
Panzer_Modeler
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2020 - 11:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Ezra

Some great advice here... I second the display case option for ships... if you get dust on them, they're a real hassle to clean.

If you don't have a large display case for all your models, then a custom fit for just one ship may be necessary. Definitely go with a hardwood to avoid warping

An alternative to brass pedestals is the "chock" method some of us employ to avoid the additional height created by brass pedestals, so that I can fit my finished builds in my large wall display case

FWIW's I contract out the bases to a guy I know with a table saw and router, then I cut my own chocks and fit them myself. I add felt to the bottom of the base and varnish them myself to save on the cost

Great Idea Russ!
 _GOTOTOP