_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
1/700 kits.
b2nhvi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,124 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2020 - 08:01 PM UTC
Have a wild hare and feel like building a couple WW2 IJN kits for a bit of a change. Who tends to make the better kits? Aoshima, Fujimi,Hasagawa , Tamiya?
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2020 - 11:12 PM UTC
Tim.

I fine them to be the same, most seem to be from the same mold. Best guess would be any brand with a newer retooling.

Mark
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Model Shipwrights: 173 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2020 - 07:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Have a wild hare and feel like building a couple WW2 IJN kits for a bit of a change. Who tends to make the better kits? Aoshima, Fujimi,Hasagawa , Tamiya?

I’ve built a few in the past, and I really think it depends on the age of the kit. I find some of the later Fujimi, Fine Molds and Hasegawa kits are pretty good. Aoshima is also good, depending on the subject, perhaps a little light on detail. Tamiya kits aren’t bad, but some of the earlier waterline kits (like earlier Hasegawa kits) were oversimplified and lacking in specific detail. Don’t forget Sea Wave, and Pit Road kits, which can also be very nice, especially for smaller classes and auxiliaries. They also make several lines of accessories such as ships boats and gun mounts. Trumpeter has also released some excellent 1/700 ships, as has Revell lately, but I’m not sure if they’ve released any IJN subjects. And I think there are a few Nichimo kits in 1/700 too, as I recall. It also depends on what you’re looking for— I prefer full hull ships that have separate bottom hulls, allowing the modeler to make the decision to build full hull or waterline models. The waterline models tend to have less detail in my opinion but that’s probably a generalization on my part.
VR, Russ
 _GOTOTOP