_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
WWI HMS Repulse 15” Gun Turret Plans?
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Model Shipwrights: 173 posts
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2020 - 06:20 AM UTC
Anyone know a source where I can obtain plans for the 15” forward twin gun turret of the HMS Repulse (1916)? I need to build the turret in 1/32 scale as a base for the Sopwith Pup flown off in 1916. I have a pretty good idea of the turret shape and size in 1/32 scale, but there are some subtle details I’m lacking. Specifically, I’m looking for information on the turret top (it looks like it was three sections of overlapping riveted steel plate), and the various details such as ladders, optics, blast bags, muzzle bands and details. I have plenty of mid-distance photos thanks to the ‘net, but not the small details. If anyone can direct me to a source for plans, I’d appreciate it.
VR, Russ
d6mst0
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,925 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,298 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2020 - 01:50 AM UTC
There is a you-tube channel called "Drachinifel", he is a naval historian you may want to email your question too. His email is [email protected]. He seems to have access to many resources on ship designs and their history. Give him a try he seems to be approachable.

Mark
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Model Shipwrights: 23 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2020 - 03:02 AM UTC
How about John Campbell’s ‘Naval weapons of World War Two’ or alternatively the Raven & Roberts book on British battleships?

According to another of Roberts’s books, Battlecruisers, the 15in mounts on the Renowns were similar to those of the Queen Elizabeth and Royal Sovereign classes (thinner armour and slightly different shape) so as the QEs included Warspite, the AoTS book on that might also be a good start.

Or there is the NMM at Greenwich...
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2020 - 05:40 AM UTC
Mark, Robert,
Thanks for the leads. I’ll check into them. I’ve checked several on line sources, And been directed to several out of print books, but can’t seem to locate the original turret specs. The turrets went through several different modifications after 1918 it seems. I’m specifically looking for dimension data.
VR, Russ
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2020 - 11:14 PM UTC
Just wanted to give a shout out to Rob Lockie who generously took some time and sent me what I needed. Thanks Rob! The reason I’m looking for this info is my next subject will be Squadron Commander Rutland’s Sopwith Pup in position atop the Repulse’s “Y” turret for the first “fly-off” on October 1st 1917. I’m going to try building this in 1/32 scale, with the WnW Naval Pup Kit, so it’ll be a big model when finished.
Thanks! We have a special group of modelers from across the globe here at Kitmaker, I for one am grateful for that.
VR, Russ
 _GOTOTOP