_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
1/700 USS Arizona
jimb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts
Model Shipwrights: 185 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2020 - 01:49 AM UTC
So I have been on a ship building kick recently. Ok, so it's really a ship kit buying kick, but you know how that goes. Anyway, I'd like to get a 1/700 USS Arizona kit, but I don't know what to get. Which manufacturer makes the "best" 1/700 USS Arizona?

I'm already planning on getting the Trumpeter 1/700 USS Texas, so we'll see how that goes.

Jim
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2020 - 04:07 AM UTC
Hi Jim,

Although I haven't built it, Dragon's USS Arizona BB-39 1941 Premium Edition in 1/700 looks to be a good choice. It is reputed to be quite accurate and comes with turned brass main barrels, a dedicated photoetch set, and decals.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2020 - 04:43 AM UTC
I'm pretty much in the same boat . I have this kit and started it years ago and it's still on the shelf! I've bought a couple of Dragon Arizona's and the Premium one seems to be slightly re-tooled, or at least cleaned up, compared to previous releases. The included PE is a bit useless - better railings would be an improvement! I got Eduard's set - very extensive and might actually be for Hobby Boss, but mainly works for Dragon as well. If you're a perfectionist, you will definitely want Model Monkey's Grey Resin replacement superstructure and funnel - the kit parts are inaccurate; as well as 3DModelparts observation tops, and all secondary and tertiary weapons. A wood deck is also a good idea as Dragon has made their deck in two pieces and therefore has a very visible joint seam running right across the deck. Some minor scratch-work will also be useful for further details, if you have references. PetrOs Modellbau (Shapeways) makes much better replacement boats and launches.
My Arizona is sitting on the shelf mainly because I'm waiting for Flyhawk to release a better one!
jimb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2020 - 05:28 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies, guys. I have hear that Dragon offer a kit, but never saw a "/review". Sounds like it needs a lot of work (read money) to make it accurate. The only Arizona that I managed to find in 1/700 was the Hobby Boss kit.

Jim
TimReynaga
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,830 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2020 - 07:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

..The only Arizona that I managed to find in 1/700 was the Hobby Boss kit.

Jim

Jim, I have built the Hobby Boss Arizona, and I'd recommend avoiding that one. It is rather crude and has features like the split foredeck with seam as well as bulkheads split in the middle with portholes split as well, making a ton of needless filling (like the ancient Revell ship kits of the 1960s). It also has a number of odd inaccuracies, like a too wide space between the forward 14 inch turrets - very noticeably wrong!
jimb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2020 - 08:39 AM UTC
Thanks for the heads-up, Tim.

Jim
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2020 - 11:20 AM UTC
Don't get me wrong! Dragon Arizona will build into an acceptable model OOB with better railing, but you will have to work to hide the deck joint. It all depends on how much extra work, and money you want to put into it.
 _GOTOTOP