_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
RC shipsites
MMB
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 259 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 08:57 PM UTC

I am thinking of building a large scale R/C warship. I am looking for sites with any info I can find since I have never build a ship like this before. Besides the general info I am also looking for a place where I can find scale drawings of warships.

Thanks in advance,
Marc

garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 12:35 AM UTC
Howdy Marc!
Warship models underway, This is the one site you will need! They also have a good forum there.
Just enter: www.warshipsunderway.com

HTH,
Garry
MMB
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 02:07 AM UTC
Might be me but it doens't work.
Could you please help ?

Thanx
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 02:53 AM UTC
oops! my mistake. it is: www.warshipmodelsunderway.com I forgot the word MODELS.

Cheers,

Garry
p7
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 04:09 AM UTC
Hello I am just in the process of building a colony class cruiser, from a free plan from Model Boats magazine.
However, there is a large selection of plans available to buy at:

http://www.nexusonline.com/pages/nexusdirect.cgi

Give them a try, some of them are in a reasonable scale to have access to manufactured accessories, rather than a lot of scratch building.

I am thoroughly enjoying building a ship from scratch, reasonably cheap as well - all balsa wood construction. Uses a type 540 motor and direct drive - which cost approximately £10.00 to buy and install.
Rudders are easy to make out of brass sheet.

Have a go! Let us know how you get on
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Monday, April 26, 2004 - 03:58 AM UTC
If you just want some inspiration here is a great site, http://www.thecoloradocrew.org/ They have a gallery of ships, including a 1/72 scale USS COLORADO. By my guess that thing must be about 9 feet long. They also have a link to contact them so if you have any questions, I'll bet they're be willing to answer them for you.

straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,352 posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2004 - 10:30 PM UTC
Marc, do you already have anything else in R/C, that the eletronics alone carries a hefty price tag, with speed controller, servos, transmitter, then motors, batteries, but if you already got that then your almost there, oh don't forget the chips so the transmitter and the servos match,plus extras when somebody else is running the same frequency.
When I used to do R/C they kept telling me it only costs this much, but before I ever got it to run I had over a thousand dollars in her before the prop pushed any water, but I kept buying a piece at a time.
MMB
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
Posted: Monday, May 03, 2004 - 07:12 PM UTC
Hi guys,

Thanks for all your replies. I have visited the sites you mentioned and have even found some more, so if anyone is interested just let me know. At this time I have 3 ship from which I should choose whichone to build. One US ship, a LSD type ship and two dutch ships. One of them is being scrapped and the other is its successor. Both ships are called "Tromp". As soon as I have made up my mind and found the right drawings I will start building. Don't expect anything very soon but I will post any progress here.

Marc

NB If anyone has info on the US Whidbey Island LSD class or the Dutch Tromp class, it would be very welcome.

Colt45
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 53 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 01:54 PM UTC
Hi Marc,
Have you considered PT Boats?. Try this site:http://www.geocities.com/mosquitoboat/
These toys are 5 ft long at 1/16 scale. The possibilities are endless as far as powerplants. I went with a 30cc Homelite Enforcer Gasoline motor w/cluth. Just a thought I throw this one at you.
 _GOTOTOP