_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
My warship colors don't look right!
steve-o
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 545 posts
Model Shipwrights: 113 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 08:27 AM UTC
So, I am LOVING my first warship model. A little 1/700 Sumner class Destroyer by Skywave.
I went to my local hobby shop and bought the 3 basic colors for it - Haze Grey, Navy Blue and Deck Blue. All from Model Master.
Well, they don't look right, at all! Compared to the color prints and photos I have of the actual ship, the Haze grey is too purple, and the blues are too blue, and too dark. Any suggestions??
Thanks in advance! Despite this color thing, I am really liking the "Floaty" side of modeling!

Thanks for reading this long one!

Steve
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 09:28 AM UTC
A couple things to remember. One is that color photos are always suspect. The color process of old photos isn't always 100% accurate. I've heard good things about MM colors so they should be pretty accurate. You can always mix them yourself to match the colors you have.

SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 547 posts
Model Shipwrights: 132 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 12:52 PM UTC
There is also the idea of scale effect for the colors as well. I have heard of people adding white to lessen the brightness of colors. Generally the high the scale the more you lighten the color.
I'm sure somebody you does this could give a better explaination....

Sean
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 03:14 PM UTC
Steve, just add a little white to lighten your dark blues. On the haze gray, try to mix in some light gray and see what happens. You might even drop the haze gray and used medium gray instead.

HTH,

Garry
 _GOTOTOP