_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Bending basswood
JackFlash
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
Model Shipwrights: 17 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 06:05 AM UTC
Cough, cough, hack, sneeze, cough !!! Seems like its been a while since anyone has been in the wind an oars section? (He says wiping the cobwebs from the door entry to the wind and oars room.)

Greetings ahhh, anyone here? Helloooo!

I was just in the middle of a project concerning the application of Basswood sheets to a 1/16 Albatros D.Va aircraft. Since it is thin wood I thought of you ship builders as a possible source for enlightening a poor cloudlubber on the magic solution or chemical mix for softening bass wood for bending over an oval / compound curve wooden framework. Though the subject is kind of
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 06:11 AM UTC
Perhaps the shippers have a better solution, but I do know that steam is an effective method. Just use the tea kettle in the kitchen and hold the wood in the steam.
Be sure to protect your hands!
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,718 posts
Model Shipwrights: 26 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 11:15 PM UTC
Hi,

Kencelot solution it's good or if you don't want to use steam you can put them on a warm water bath for a while, it takes longer but it works.

You can also make small incisions at the places where the bend curve is higher, we normally use a special tool for that but you can use a X-acto for that.

HTH
 _GOTOTOP