_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Modern Use of Life Rafts?
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 547 posts
Model Shipwrights: 132 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 06:15 PM UTC
Here is a question that recently came to mind....why did modern warships, such as the bismarck, have lift rafts stored on the extirior of the ship?

Watching Master & Commander--they towed their boats behind them so they wouldn't get shot up...so what gives?

Sean
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2004 - 04:48 PM UTC
Not an expert on this one, but I'll give an educated guess, perhaps something to do with the speed of the ships were vastly different, and the little boats would probably sink just from the wake turbulence.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2004 - 09:01 PM UTC
they would be easier to get to in an emergency think how long it would have took to reel them in if the ship was sinking and if water had got into the tops of the boats and shells near by could cause alot of damage just by shockwaves ect not really a good idea. in a nut shell ships can be replaced its the crew who are the asset you want as many of them to survive as possible hence having the lifeboats ect as close as you can to them look how long it took for the Hood to go down and you'll understand
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
Model Shipwrights: 25 posts
Posted: Monday, July 05, 2004 - 11:15 PM UTC
Aside from that on US ship's the canisters are tethered to the ship. If we have to abandon ship and can't launch the rafts our self they float away from the wreck and then pop and inflate. Instant life raft!!!! YAY. HTH STUG
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 547 posts
Model Shipwrights: 132 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 08:41 AM UTC
I understand with quickly getting in the life boat...but they are stored right on the ship. I'll post some pictures of my Bismarck soon, a few well placed shots..or just in the area...would destroy life boats..they literally cover parts of the superstructure..

Sean
 _GOTOTOP