_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Ancient Greek Triera in progress. - Pics
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 05:06 PM UTC
Hello there guys . how r u ?

I am posting here some progress in the build of the 1/72 Greek Ancient Triera Ship from Zvezda. So far is going well, and didn’t had building or fit problems. One major time eater and pain in the ……finger , was to cut and clean molding lines and all that from the more than 120 oars!!! In the end ..about 115 oar I think, the sculpel escaped my control and made a major cut to my finger..but these things happen!!!!
The main body of the ship came along well and fitted ok though it really need an octopus hands to get all parts together at the right point and calibrated to glue them . But finally with my 2 hands I managed it !!!!The deck fitted well and most parts go ok with a lil cleaning..
I ve reached at the point u see in the pictures and now the difficult part of deck detailing, finishing the rest of the builds and adding thousands of kilometers of rope !!!!!!!!!!!
I ll keep u posted guys

husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,305 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 05:10 PM UTC
Costas,
I know nothing of ships (and I'm retired from the Navy - go figure), but I really admire your build so far. Absolutely beautiful and not a drop of paint so far. I look forward to seeing this one completed.
Ciao for now
Rob
Augie
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 711 posts
Model Shipwrights: 74 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 05:30 PM UTC
I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product, too!!!!! Looks like alot of fun!
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 6,405 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 05:31 PM UTC
hi Cos,
Glad to see you still can build ships after getting infected by the figure virus. I am sorry for your finger brother,but this is common for us modelers as I am typing with a band aid on my thumb the model looks great and it will be great as painted because the ancient Greek and Roman ships are colorful . any decals in the kit for Shields or will you paint them by brush?
see ya
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 05:34 PM UTC
Hello Costas,
Fantastic! You are coming along just great mate! Now that is quite the undertaking. All those oars, I admire your stamina. Cant wait to see it all painted up, keep us posted.

Cheers,

Garry
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 06:58 PM UTC
Thanks for all your encouraging words guys !!!!!!
I t needed a lot of patience and the rope work will even need more
I ll keep u informed.
Brother Engin , no transfers no nothing . Master painter hand will do it all

Thanks

Costas
tankysgal1
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 1,430 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 06:58 PM UTC
The ship looks really amazing so far. I would really like to build up to doing such a grand undertaking in the future. Sorry about your cut to your finger. Keep up the good work.

P.S. I feel sorry for you sanding all those oars..haha
Mary
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 07:02 PM UTC
Costas, sorry to here about your finger. It is bad when that happens, but thats the kind of hazard that comes with using sharp tools so close to our fingers. Your ship is a beautiful work of art. All those oars must have been a Major Pain for Major Goose lol. Sorry for the weak attempt at humor. But now since you are a "figure modeler" my next question is do you have the full crew assembled and ready to paint? Again Beautiful Workmanship, I can't wait to see this finished. Cheers Kevin
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 07:33 PM UTC
Thanks guys fro good words. I am trying my best and i hope i t gets out really well
There is no crew and by no way i am sitting to paint 300 1/72 colourfoul guys!!!if anyone else ur welcome !!!!

Costas
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Posted: Friday, July 09, 2004 - 08:53 AM UTC
In my other hobby, building guns we have a term when you shed blood for a project.

WECSOG

Then you've become an alumni of the

"Wile E. Coyote School Of Gunsmithing"

Maybe we should come up with something for the modeling hobby. "WECSOM?"

Arthur
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,454 posts
Posted: Friday, July 09, 2004 - 09:41 AM UTC
Costas,cut out trying to be a surgeon,and stick to modelling,apart from that,is there any limits to your talent,LOL,but having won the "CUP",go for Master Modeller.
Arthur :-)
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 05:21 PM UTC
Well thanx a lot guys for ur kind words
i have spilled blood many times on the hobby but this was a really good one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I ll keep u posted in progress !!!

Costas
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 06:56 PM UTC
from excellent figures to beautiful ships you are getting a wide variety. This is again exceptional and I look forward to seeing the end result
geronimo
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 136 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 12:29 AM UTC
Major "Costas" Goose !

Cleaning 120 oars is the penalty for what ? Did you kill your wife, parents kids and the dog ?

Just kidding, great job you did. Forget about the finger, you still have 10 left.
That is a really nice ship, but what is it now ? According to the cover art, it's a Roman galley; from what you "said", it's a Greek one. They differed a lot in armarment and number of sails (late Roman galleys often had an additional bow sail and a triangular main sail); also Roman ships had a special enter bridge to get their sailors onboard enemy ships.

Yamas

Frank
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 10:23 PM UTC
Zvezda releases that Romen ship , saying that is a total copy of earlier Greek triemas and the changes u mentioned (some of them ) do exist , so i have in mind to modify in these points the build !

I ll keep u posted
Costas
 _GOTOTOP