_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Heller HMS Illustrious question
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, August 13, 2004 - 03:07 AM UTC
Hi guys, in an effort to rekindle my flagging interest in model building (I seem to be in a slump) I've just ordered a Heller 1/400 HMS Illustrious.
Has anyone built this kit and if so are there any pitfalls or problems to watch out for?
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Friday, August 13, 2004 - 03:52 AM UTC
Hello Martin,
This kit is either a new reliese or a re-pop. . Anyway it has'nt been on the market yet. I also want to build this kit when it comes out! I have built all of the 1/400 Heller kits so far, and I am kind of fond of them.

HTH,

Garry
Visit this Community
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 398 posts
Model Shipwrights: 292 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 04:33 PM UTC
Hi Martin,

The Heller ILLUSTRIOUS is a re-issue of a kit that has been unavailable for some time. We will have a dedicated photoetch set (PE 4007) available for it in a few weeks. We also have some replacement resin aircraft, and other replacement resin aircraft are coming from our good friends at L'Arsenal (we will be stocking these).

Cheers,
John Snyder
White Ensign Models
http://WhiteEnsignModels.com
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2004 - 07:09 PM UTC
Thanks for the info guys. I heard on the grapevine last year that Heller were going to re-issue this kit and the other day saw that Hannants had them in stock so I ordered one. The original kits have been going for up to £70 a pop on ebay, a bit out of my price range.

dign25 I was looking on WEM site and saw that an etched set was due for release, I will probably be ordering one when they are available.
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 01:08 AM UTC
Well the kit arrived today. It is the first large scale warship kit I've ever bought and boy does it look big!

I've just submitted an in box review for it with pics of the parts. On the whole it doesn't look bad considering the age of the kit, (APART FROM THE LOW NUMBER OF AIRCRAFT!!!!) but I will definately be buying the etched set to improve it.
jonesbry
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 6 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 09:11 AM UTC
Hi.
I have purchased the Heller Illustrious kit.
(I intend to make it as Victorious in 1942-43 configeration, )
We will need : White Ensign-1/400 -PE 4007-HMS ILLUSTRIOUS - COMING SOON .

L'Arsenal have announced a few more subjects in their range of accessories. in 1/400 we have AC 400-30 Grumman F4F Wildcat/Martlet, AC 400-31 Grumman TBM-3 Avenger & AC 400-32 Fairey Fulmar.
They allready have Swordfish and and are soon to release both Seafires and Sea Huricanes.

Also a good reference book like:
"The Aircraft Carrier Victorious (Anatomy of the Ship)"by
Ross Watton.

I hope this will help.
Regards.
Bryan Jones.
jonesbry
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 6 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 03, 2004 - 05:15 PM UTC
Just for the record I just cut and pasted the above buliton I do not work for any of the above.

A very good reference sites on FAA aircraft and Illustrious class and other carriers:
http://www.fleetairarmarchive.net/Index.html

A museum model of Ilustrious (but check camouflage schemes with photos on the net)
http://xoomer.virgilio.it/bk/Imperial%20War%20Museum/HMS%20Illustrious/index.html

Regards.
Bryan Jones.
 _GOTOTOP