_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Tamiya ships?
PfcGreen
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 103 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 07, 2002 - 11:38 AM UTC
I have been a big fan of Tamiyas armor models for a long time. And have been wanting to build Tamiya warships. I am wondering what you guys think of them, detail, fit, and so on...

-Thanks
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Model Shipwrights: 67 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 07, 2002 - 08:54 PM UTC
I have had a couple, the Vosper PT boat and the Pibber. Both are up to the same quality as their other Tamiya kits (armor). I hear their USS Enterprise is the stuff of legends.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 08, 2002 - 06:12 PM UTC
At the very dawn of my modelling hobby, I am talking about 10 or 12 years ago, I had built the Tamiya PBR 1:35. And with my very limited modelling skills at that time, the fitting was excellent, and comes out reasonably good.
E23C
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 238 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 10, 2002 - 11:51 AM UTC
I built the Tamiya Tirpitz many years ago,fit was pretty good and I thought the detail was good.
viper
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 11, 2002 - 11:24 AM UTC
Tamiya makes great ship models. Their 1/350 stuff is among the best made IMHO. Their 1/700 waterline series is also great. You can't beat the selection...even if they are kinda pricey. Put on a good aftermarket PE detail set and you're all set!

Mark H
lambertjr
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 131 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 17, 2002 - 12:07 PM UTC
If you get one of Tamiyas ships make sure you have time on your hands.
They are worth every penny and minute you invest on them.
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 - 02:42 PM UTC
I have several of their Battleships, Battlecruisers, CA's, and DD's. All of the ones that I've got are 1/700, and without exception, they're beautiful straight out of the box. If you want to go to the added effort of adding photoetch, they can really grab attention
Valkyrie
Visit this Community
Alur Setar, Malaysia
KitMaker: 143 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 12:50 PM UTC
By all means, go ahead full steam! Currently I'm hooked on armour, but I never truly left ship modelling. So far my 1:700 scale ships (20 of them!) are mostly from Tamiya. OOB they're very beautiful...invest some in PE and/ or resin...they're stunning! Their newer release are basically much better than the earlier ones..IMHO

Currently (still at my 'shipyards') are Tamiya's Prinz Eugen and Zuikaku. Man, I wish Tamiya would release more Western Allies' ships....say British Queen Elizabeth-class BBs and US Baltimore-class CA
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 01:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

...I hear their USS Enterprise is the stuff of legends.

Hark! Do I hear another model kit calling my name? :-)

Eh, might as well get something to go with the M1A1 Abrams I'll be getting soon.
Yup, the folks at Hobby Lobby sure like seeing me. (:-)

Speaking of, the last warship thread I read caused me to buy Banner Model's USS Arizona.

YodaMan
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 02:46 PM UTC
I am build the 1/350 Bismarck now with Eduard PEs, for a more 20 years old kit, it's good build, and I have fun doing it....
lifestyle
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 340 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 06:08 PM UTC
Itakleri ships are quite nice also
Branden
NimitzFan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 191 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 02:07 AM UTC
The Tamiya 1/350 ships are great. I have the New Jersey and Enterprise. They are both big projects and are greatly enhanced with GMM photo etch.

And yes the Big E is a monster project. I could go on and on about...but only if you want me too.
:-H
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,612 posts
Posted: Friday, November 22, 2002 - 10:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I hear their USS Enterprise is the stuff of legends.

Aye! But seems like Trumpeter's going to release two big contenders for that one: Admiral Kuznetsov Russian CV and USS Nimitz - both 1/350. I heard that the Kuznetsov would cost $250. Yikes!

Re:Tamiya ships, yeah they're really good. My first (and only - for now) Tamiya ship is the 1/350 Musashi (everyone's got the 1/350 Yamato, I think it's time to give the Musashi some attention, too! ). It's still under construction pending the arrival of PE parts. The kit I have is the one with the option to motorize it (I dunno if they have produced a new Yamato/Musashi kit). Most Yamato builders would note that the Tamiya kit has several inaccuracies - ranging from the arrangement of the AA guns to the big tripod mast. One thing that is annoying with the kit is that since it has the option to be motorized, the deck is not in one piece, i.e. it's meant to be removed for the installation of the batteries, motor, etc. This means that if you plan to make it a static model, there's an ugly seam which, if you're not careful, would result to the sanding away of the plank detail. Best way to fill it is I guess using very thinned down putty or Mr. Surface 400. Overall, the Musashi is a fine wonderful and big kit, with nice detail - even without PE it still looks great! Tamiya ships (and model ships by Japanese manufacturers in general) are more detailed than, say, Italeri and other Western manufactured model ships.
NimitzFan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, November 25, 2002 - 04:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Aye! But seems like Trumpeter's going to release two big contenders for that one: Admiral Kuznetsov Russian CV and USS Nimitz - both 1/350. I heard that the Kuznetsov would cost $250. Yikes!

I freaked out when I heard that the other day. It has also made me work harder on my Big E. I have to have it finished when that kit comes out in two years.

GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,612 posts
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2002 - 12:08 PM UTC
NimitzFan: Hehe would be nice to make a diorama of a two-CV battlegroup in 1/350. Imagine: Big E and Nimitz, along with four Ticos, 5 Arleigh Burkes, 5 OHP FFGs, 4 Spruance DDs.... Title: Bomb Magnet. :-)
Unfortunately, it would perhaps take the size of a house to display this diorama properly. :-)
NimitzFan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 02:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

NimitzFan: Hehe would be nice to make a diorama of a two-CV battlegroup in 1/350. Imagine: Big E and Nimitz, along with four Ticos, 5 Arleigh Burkes, 5 OHP FFGs, 4 Spruance DDs.... Title: Bomb Magnet. :-)
Unfortunately, it would perhaps take the size of a house to display this diorama properly. :-)

I know that would be a HUGE dio. I am planning on displaying my Big E with a Ticonderoga and an Arleigh Burke. My display will be around 4' plus by 3' wide. If Trumpeter does come out with this kit, I may go crazy.
 _GOTOTOP