_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
HMS Fearless
Sapper131
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 110 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 03:13 AM UTC
Hiya.

Could anybody out there tell me if anybody does, or has ever done a large scale kit of HMS Fearless or Intrepid in any media. I have only ever seen the airfix offering and feel this doesnt do justice to this once great ship

I feel that in a time when trumpeter are bringing out some great large scale kits (I believe the Hood is coming or is already here) surely there must be a fan base for this underated ship who would love to see it produced in 1/350.

I hope im not talking rubbish.
mlb63
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 355 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 05:46 AM UTC
I don't think your talking a load of rubbish.It seems that no one wants to put out R.N.kits anymore i could'nt tell you how long i've heard that the Hood is coming out .It never happens.Now i'm originally from Glasgow so i would like to see a lot of R.N.ships coming out(was'nt the Fearless built in Glasgow?If not it was the Intrepid.). (:-) (:-) (:-) (:-) (:-) (:-)
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 07:10 AM UTC
If the model companies could be persuaded to do more R N ships in 1:350 scale I could be tempted to do a few, particularly the 3 cruisers used in the Battle of the river Plate, a few submarines wouldn't go amiss either. I know it's not R N but my Lhs has the Revell™ 1: 72 U-boat built in the window and it's getting mighty tempting.
Pete
birdman
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 10:36 AM UTC
Well, i'm not sure about the fearless. More chance (if any) that a model company would look towards the RN's newer assat ships, Albion and bulwark.

As for the Hood, i'd put my mortage on a 1/350 version in plastic in 2005 along maybe with another RN ship.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 01:51 PM UTC
I tell you mates, I would be in salty dog heaven if we had a good batch of RN warships in 1/350 scale! Its just to bad there is not a british based model company to compete with the top dogs. The top dogs have there own way of thinking! I realy think that Trumpeter is our only hope in the future. LOL, unless we all pool together and start our own model factory.

Garry
mlb63
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 02:15 PM UTC
The one i would really like to see in 1/350 is'nt the Hood (with all due respect to the crew the ship was not a big success)its the Warspite you just dont get more successful than that. (:-) (:-) (:-) (:-) (:-) (:-)
birdman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2004 - 04:51 AM UTC
Warspite, maybe but after its rebuilding, it was an ugly sucker.

Maybe before the rebuild, with 2 funnels though.

I'm not so sure being successful has much to do with it. Thinking the tirpitz here, ended up as a floating bomb target. The Arizona (Not too sure of its early history), seems more well known for being at Pearl when the japs attacked.

Its all about the little stories whether about success or tragedy that makes these ships stick in the mind.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2004 - 05:11 AM UTC
Yes Garry!!
You it the target
Since Airfix / Heller are making only one or two new maritime models each year (on a good year!!) perhaps we have to relly on (much more expensive) White Ensign Models or other that pick these subjects

Accurate but Expensive

British subs would also be much welcome

Skipper
Angry_Ensign
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 315 posts
Model Shipwrights: 145 posts
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2004 - 09:01 AM UTC
It's all about money gents...and sadly, HMS Fearless, even Hesperus or Lance, or Zulu, will more than likely never see the light of day as plastic kits UNLESS a company in the UK starts up.

I suspect we'll see a Hood soon, probably in a matter of months instead of years...so be patient and get those mortgage papers ready Birdman!!

Personally, I'd love to see Repulse or Renown, Sheffield, Gambia, Arethusa, Warspite, Ark Royal, Illustrious, Formidable...in any order, I'm not picky.

Sadly, until the naval equivalents of Tiger tanks and P-51s are all released, we're probably not going to see those ships that we hold dear.

But...there's always scratchbuilding!!

Jeff
birdman
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2004 - 09:43 AM UTC
No need to worry about my mortage. I'm with you on this one Jeff, A hood is on the way.
Sapper131
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2004 - 11:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

No need to worry about my mortage. I'm with you on this one Jeff, A hood is on the way.

I think trumpeter are keeping nexts years releases a little close to their chests this time but i have heard rumour of a possible 2 RN and about 4 USN heavies in 1/350

Well as far as scratchbuilding the Fearless goes, i would definately be way out of my league on that one.
I guess i will just have to look at my tiny Airfix offering and hope someone has a brainstorm
Angry_Ensign
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 05:23 AM UTC
Hi Sapper,

I think we'll be seeing a change in doctrine from Trumpeter once the Saratoga and Lexington are released. We already know a North Carolina is on the way, so that means we'll probably see a Washington.

I don't anticipate a SoDak from Trumpeter, because other parties have expressed a desire to produce one in plastic. If a Hood is released, and sells well (which I'd bet my kit collection on), it will open up some dorrs that have been previously closed, especially in terms of capital ships. There are no Italian ships, no German ships aside from Bismarck and Tirpitz, and no Japanese ships aside from Yamato and Musashi. It will more than likely head in one of two directions...

1. Smaller US stuff, cruisers, destroyers, etc.
2. Larger Non-US stuff, Nagato, Roma, Scharnhorst, etc.

It's hard to say with Trumpeter, because aside from the Liberty Ship, everything they've released has been LARGE...carriers, carriers, and more carriers.

Personally, I'd like to see an even balance of both...smaller stuff for the times when I don't have $100 to spend on a kit, but have $30-50, and the opportunity to have some very beautiful ships (Roma, Richelieu, Nagato, Scharnhorst) on my workbench.

It's an interesting time to be a ship modeler, that's for sure!

Jeff
mlb63
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 12:20 PM UTC
I have to admit the Roma,Richelieu and Scharnhorst are ships that really deserve some attention(1/350 perhaps). (:-) (:-) (:-) (:-) (:-) (:-) (:-)
Angry_Ensign
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 10:44 AM UTC
Oh, I'm just full of good ideas....here was my wish list...all 1/350th scale and all plastic, in no order of preference... I want 'em ALL!!

USN: Atlanta, Cleveland, Baltimore, Alaska, New Orleans, Portland, T-2 tanker, Independence Class CVL, Casablanca Class CVE, Enterprise '44, any of the Pearl Harbor BBs, especially CA, TN, MD, or WV, in '41 or post-refit configs...

RN: Hood, Warspite, Ark Royal, Repulse/Renown, Ark Royal, Illustrious, Lance, Hesperus, Black Swan, Arethusa, Sheffield, Gambia and Dido.

DKM: Graf Spee, Scharnhorst, Hipper, Prinz Eugen, a Type VII, IX and variations (several to a box), S-100 and S-36 Klasse Schnellbooten (all in one box)

IJN: Myoko, Myoko, Myoko, Takao, Takao, Takao... :-) Tone, Mogami, Shokaku, Shoho, Kaga, Nagato, Fuso, Yamashiro, I-400 Class, I-52 Class.

RM: Ciao Dulio, Vittorio Venetto, Trieste, Trento.

France: Richelieu, Jean Bart, Le Terrible.

Not too much to ask, eh??

Jeff

mlb63
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 05:23 PM UTC
Hey Jeff we can dream right? (:-) (:-) (:-) (:-) (:-) (:-)
winchweight
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 513 posts
Model Shipwrights: 17 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 09:48 PM UTC
Fearless or Intrepid!! In 1/72nd!! Now we're talking. No chance though, perhaps a good size HMS Ocean would be nice. All those luvverly helicopters on deck.... great stuff. Did you see the program on Discoverly Home & Leisure called "Supermodels"? They built a huge R/C model of Fearless, including R/C Tank, landing craft and flying helicopter!! It was awesome. The ship even had the pumps to submerge the landing craft deck, this allowed the LST out, which dropped its ramp to allow a Challenger to roll ashore, all with air support from a Sea King AEW Fantastic!! The ship was about 6 - 8 feet long, huge

Sapper131
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, December 24, 2004 - 08:35 AM UTC
Wow, didnt see that one but it sounds like it was somethin worth seeing.
 _GOTOTOP