_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
USS Haines (DE-792) -- looking for photo
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3,179 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, December 27, 2004 - 11:45 AM UTC
Does anyone have a photo of the USS Haines (DE-792) or know of a publication that does?

Additionally, are there any styrene kits of the Buckley Class DE's? I found a resin version in 1/350th, but that's a bit steep for this project.
Angry_Ensign
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 315 posts
Model Shipwrights: 145 posts
Posted: Monday, December 27, 2004 - 12:55 PM UTC
The only kit available of a Buckley in plastic is the Revell kit, which is 1/240 I think... your only bet in 1/350 is the resin kit from Iron Shipwrights, or scratchbuilding.

If you want to scratchbuild, let me know, I have parts, including a hull and bridge and deckhouses, I could provide you with at a minimal cost. I probably have enough parts to put a kit together, but you'd be on your own with regards to instructions, etc...but a decent set of line drawings would suffice.

Regards,

Jeff Herne
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Monday, December 27, 2004 - 02:51 PM UTC
Jeff:
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, th Revell kit looks like a more suitable candidiate for this project along with some Tom's PE.

Now...... after doing some looking on-line this may not be the eaisest kit to find.
Anyone have a spare HMS Bligh/USS Buckley for trade/sale?
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Monday, December 27, 2004 - 03:27 PM UTC
Hi Nathan,

Here's the NavSource page for the Haines:

http://www.navsource.org/archives/06/792.htm

They only have one photo of this ship in particular but many other Buckley class photos. I see that the Haines was converted to an APD in '44 ISW also has that available in resin for $75. I know it's more that the Tamiya Fletcher at around $30 or so but throw in a set of P.E, parts at another $30 and the $75 ISW wants isn't at all unreasonable..Mike T
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Monday, December 27, 2004 - 03:33 PM UTC
Mike:
Thanks for the link, that's the first photo I've seen after several searches....
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 07:57 AM UTC
if you go to the Australian War Memorial data base at
http://www.awm.gov.au/

click on search collections (LHS upper) and then advanced search, conflict WW2 and type in US Navy ships or Destroyers and there is a lot (1000plus) pics of ships. Some are unidentified and it will include LMC's and liberty ships as well but worth looking at if you have the time.
 _GOTOTOP