_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Positive Websites
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,352 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 02:32 AM UTC
A while back when I had my other computer, I found some websites about the Charles de Gaulle aircraft carrier, and after extensive reading, it got me so interested I wanted one to build one.

Well it took me a long time, and I finally got one, but all I can find now is sites that are negative about this ship, I can't find hardly one that has anything good to say, and if it does, it has no pictures that are useful.

Before they showed it being put together, the tower being put on, and how they made things for the crew, like some of the comforts of home integrated in. That new system that is computer operated to help hold the ship level in rough seas so planes can still land on it.

I was hoping to get some close pictures of the ship so I can see just how it actually looks.

The parts, the directions, and the picture on the front of the box all are different from each other. Then I'm thinking a real picture will be different again. So if somebody could show me in a direction to some good sites, I'll thank you a head of time.
Kerry
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 02:58 AM UTC
Hi Kerry!

Don't know if I am going to be redunctant on this, but a quick search on google Images using the "Porte avions Charle de Gaulle" returned me 274.
From these what looks more "juicy" are these (but I didn't looka at all of them!)
http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&lr=&q=+site:www.netmarine.net+%22Porte+avions+Charles+de+Gaulle%22

Hope this solves, or help solving your problems!

Skipper
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 03:40 AM UTC
Good day Kerry!
Here is a link to photo's of a built up model of the CD carrier. I see that AM aircraft are available for the kit.

http://www.steelnavy.com/CharlesDeGaulleSL.htm

HTH,

Garry
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 05:20 AM UTC
Thank You very much Skipper for them pictures, they are a lot more the I was able to find, but they confirmed my ideas on there being another way other then I already had. On one of them pictures showed some flat things that aren't on anything I've seen so far on the tower.

The only thing the picture that I seen was so far away, I couldn't ID what exactly what they were, all I could see was the top part of them, and they look like a flat square shield that is tilted.

They sit right behind the round radar things at the front of the ship, and are just as tall as the radar round things, and I believe there is one on each side, but it is getting a closer picture of the tower to find out.
Again thank you for finding these pictures Skipper
Kerry
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 05:59 AM UTC
Hi Kerry!

I think you mentioned this trapezoidal structure on the base of the main radar mast:
http://www.netmarine.net/bat/porteavi/cdg/photo15.htm

I'll check some french naval magazines (at home) and see if there's another close up, of the starbord side.

Tell you something later or tomorrow, mate!

Skipper
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 02:15 PM UTC
Wow it looks totally different from the side, and if that is it, then the model has them big things, but from the front, all you could see was the corner of it, and I thought it was a lot smaller then that. That it appeared to be sitting on the upper deck.

I just had the illusion, that it set on the upper deck, and the box art shows the other side of the ship to, with the full side view, with a little of the front. On the box art it has hand railing on the top of it though, and in the real picture I seen no hand railing I thought.

I tried to go back and find that picture so I could tell you which one, but I can't even find it myself now.
Maybe to tired. I'll try again tomorrow
Thank you again Skipper
Kerry
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 - 11:44 PM UTC
Hi Kerry!

For the missing pic - you are really tired
Just follow the links on the posts

I have searched the mags, only to find out that the ones with good detail are the same (or similar) with those online - maibe those are the "press release" pics

There are others but the CDG is so far that no setail could be seen...

Without trying to skip "responsabilityes" I would stick, as reference, with those pics! They are from the real thing and they are from an early operational (post comissioning) period...

Sorry for the lack of continuity on this Mate, if it were a WWII midget sub I could help you a lot more

Best regards,

Skipper
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 01:16 AM UTC
Here we go Skipper, see what a good nights rest does, I found it right off this morning, it is on the first page photo 25 when you enlarge it those shields look like they are setting on that upper deck in that photo.

Doesn't it look that way to you. I also want to thank you for all the time you spent helping me, I was able to get a lot of useful pictures for my project.
Kerry
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 02:21 AM UTC
C'mon Kerry!!

This is the real point of this foruns, right?
Nice catch on the image (I must admit that missed the details on that one!)

Glad I could help
Please keep us updated/posted on your work

Skipper
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 06:04 AM UTC
Skipper, have you ever noticed any pictures of any armament on the Charles de Gaulle, to what the model has is real poor, and Even the pictures in the directions don't look like anything I ever came across.

To what L'Arsenal offers they just say the names of the weapons, no pictures, mostly, so I have no idea what they have either.

Another thing without names I'm totally without hope in knowing either, sense L'Arsenal has most of theirs marked by name only.
Kerry
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 06:27 AM UTC
Kerry...

See this link, please:
http://www.netmarine.net/bat/porteavi/cdg/caracter.htm

You'll have the description of the armament, although from my read there's not much of guns there....
This way you can compare it with L'Arsenal items and descriptions....

If you have problems with the french, use http://babelfish/altavista.com

The result may be a liitle weird, but for the main notion or sense it may result.

Skipper
 _GOTOTOP