_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
DDG 81 almost done
Scunge
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 254 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 10:22 AM UTC
Just got a lot of quality time with my ddg 81 Winston Churchill this weekend, and the build is finally winding down. All I have left to do is some touch up painting, finish a few decals and add photoetch. Might sound like a lot, but the phtot etch fret is real small, so it probably will be done by next weekend. Ill post some progress pics soon though.

The build is coming out OK, but one big thing and that is it is almost impossible to get a good looking hull without an airbrush.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 11:22 AM UTC
Where's the pic's? We need to see your DDG Scunge! Sounds like you have been having a lot of fun with this one! And I bet its a good feeling to have it almost finished. Keep us posted mate!

Cheers,

Garry
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 11:22 PM UTC
Hi Matt!

Well it seems you had a lot of fun with Churchil
Regarding the proper look without an airbrush - it's just a question of having a good brush and properly tinned paint!

You'll get it, too

Looking forward to see the pics!

Skipper
Hoovie
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 505 posts
Model Shipwrights: 104 posts
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2005 - 12:08 AM UTC
Hi Matt~
What photoetch did you use?
Ron
Scunge
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2005 - 02:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Matt~
What photoetch did you use?
Ron

I used the photo etch it came with. It is one of the Panda models, which I will recomend until I turn blue in the face. Im told the brass is a bit thick for thsoe who are in tune with these sorts of things, but for a $20-$25 kit, its a good deal if you ask me.

edit- I just went and took some progress shots. I couldnt take that many as my battery died out so I cant upload the three I got off before it went kaput. Ill have the shots up some time tomorrow.
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2005 - 03:44 PM UTC

oldbean
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 769 posts
Model Shipwrights: 25 posts
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2005 - 04:09 PM UTC
I JUST got done working on the the real DDG81, so I look forward to seeing your pic's!

Jesse
Scunge
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 2005 - 09:07 AM UTC
Here are some shots. they came out alright, but I can never seem to get the lighting right. There are some spots where you can see that some touch up painting is required, and there are some parts where things are obviously missing. All and all, Im only somewhat pleased with the build, and I dont think I was able to get the ship as nice I would have liked to.

Edit- The first picture didnt turn out too well, and it makes the paint job look a lot owrse than it really is, hopefully I will have a better one soon.

_GOTOTOP