_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
what kind of glue for photoetch?
Scunge
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 254 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2005 - 03:55 PM UTC
Hey, Im sure this has been asked before, but what kind f super glue do you use for photo etech? THe stuff I am using doesnt really seem to work and I am having a real hard time getting my railings to stay on my 1/350 ddg81. Thanks in advance.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 12:29 AM UTC
Hi Matt!!

You should use Cianoacrilate Glue, also know as Super Glue or CA Glue...
Apply with a pin, or toothpick, never directly from the tube

Skipper
VoodooChild
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 74 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 01:27 AM UTC
Matt

It might not be the glue. This sometimes happens to me and I find I can correct the problem by preparing the PE parts beforehand. I use some 600 grit sandpaper to lightly scuff the glueing surfaces - this gives the glue something to 'bite' onto. I then wipe the the glueing surfaces with some metholated spirits to clean them and remove any grease etc. that might stop the glue from sticking properly. This usually works.

Cheers
Ed
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 03:23 AM UTC
Howdy Matt,

Not really being a ship modeler I can't speak specifically to your handrails but...two methods that work very well are;

For etch that you are basically gluing down level, or horizontally, try Elmer's white glue. It works better than you might think. Just a dab is all you need, plus it dries pretty much clear.
For parts you're standing on edge or trying to mount more vertically, use brush-on clear acrylic gloss, set your piece right in it (gently) allow to dry, and viola!
Again, you'd be surprised at the mastic abilities of the clear coating.
The 'gloss' part isn't necessarily important, but if you are applying decals it saves you a step.
hth.

Tread.
fbuis
Visit this Community
Ain, France
KitMaker: 447 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 05:34 AM UTC
I use the Loctite­ Super Glue with brush for the PE parts, it is easy to use with the brush, a thin coat on the plastic before I place the PE part in the right position, it takes from 20 to 30 seconds before sticking on plastic.
Loctite Super Glue with brush

HTH
 _GOTOTOP