_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Lighted Warship Models
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 05:00 AM UTC
So, how often do you see this?

I picked up Banner Model's 1/350th USS Arizona today, and was impressed when I looked at the sprues. I can't wait to get started on it!
The second time I looked at the parts, I thought "You know, fiber optic cables would fit into the portholes nicely..." :-)
Uh oh.. Yoda has an idea.

Again, how often are lighted ship models seen? This is just an idea that drifted to me... (pun intended) I'm sure it'd be more work than I think; lighting portholes, navigation lights, searchlights.... but it'd look darn cool! :-) :-) (and that's why we build models, right?)

Then, we have a question of accuracy; how often would a warship be seen fully lighted at night? I guess it dosen't really matter when making a display model...

YodaMan
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
Model Shipwrights: 33 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 08:52 AM UTC
Yoda, I think this is a pretty cool idea.

To answer your questions regarding reality, here are some thoughts. At about 30 minutes prior to sunset ships (while underway) set 'Darken Ship' which signals designated personnel throughout the ship to close those hatches or portholes which would expose light. The portholes in question have a cover on the inside that is closed while the hatches leading to the outside of the ship are simply shut. Those hatches could also have lightboxes and/or red lights which help with dissipating light as well. A lightbox is the area inside the hatch that has been painted black (including the inside of the door) and also contains some baffle barriers that block light form inside the ship from getting out but still allow personnel to transit the hatch at night if needed. Those with red lights have a switch on the hatch that will turn-off a white light and turn on a red light that is much less visible. As far as navigation lights you would have the standard port and stbd running lights, the stern light and one or two mast head lights depending on the length of the ship. You could also see other combinations of lights depending on ship conditions (performing flight ops is a good example).

During wartime you could see a whole different thing altogether. The navigation lights may or maynot be on so as to minimize detectability visually. You could also see additional lights lighted to change the appearance of the ship so it doesn't resemble a warship. This is called deceptive lighting.

Since you have mentioned this idea, I think a warship tied up to the pier would make an awesome little setup. Inport you have lights on in the quarterdeck area (where you get on and off the ship) as well as various safety lights around the main deck and on external ladders (stairwells). The white lights are also lighted on the bridge inport too. A red masthead light is also lite as a warning to low flying aircraft. You also have several waterline security lights mounted on the edge of the weatherdeck that shine down toward the waterline to make detecting swimmers or small boats easier. Finally, you have the bow numeral light which focuses a spotlight onto the bow numbers of the ship.

I think a ship model built next to a pier and set into a simulated water base with the aforementioned inport lighting scheme would look awesome in a dimly lite room. Can anybody else see this in their mind or is it just me?
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 - 09:39 AM UTC
Do you think you could give me some more details about ship lights? I really like the idea of a docked ship all lit up!!! :-)
Would it help if I got a picture of the Arizona, put numbers around specific areas of the ship, post it and then someone could point out where and where not to put lights?
Hmmm. I'm really liking this idea!!! :-) (and I'll need some help to pull it off...)

A docked ship lighted at dusk. Yeah.... This will be my first 'big' project.
Time to do some major research. Need pictures of docked ships, ships lit up at night, docks lit up at night, detail pictures of quarterdecks....

As for the kit itself, what PE and/or resin sets should I get? I've read two reviews, both recommend aftermarket details.

Thanks again for the idea, Bryan!!!

YodaMan
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 05:35 PM UTC
Hello YodaMan,

What your talking about would work if the ship was dressed for a reception or a special port call. Special lights are strung out along with flags making the ship look like a big floating Christmas tree. We had red, white and blue lights on the "64" on the side of the Constellation's island. In case of an emergency recall during a port visit, the bridge had a switch to make the lights flash on and off.
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
Model Shipwrights: 33 posts
Posted: Friday, September 27, 2002 - 12:43 AM UTC
You wouldn't have to have those lights on the model if you wanted to just portray a ship in its homeport unless you wanted it setup for a christmas motif like we still do.
 _GOTOTOP