_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Waterline Ships
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Model Shipwrights: 67 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 10:54 AM UTC
I got a Japanese waterline ship kit at the IPMS meeting last night. Strange thing about it is that it has no lower hull, just a flat red piece. I guess that's what makes it waterline. Anyone ever build one of these things? Any idea how to paint the top deck tan when most of the superstructure is attached?
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 11:15 AM UTC
I haven't built any ships - yet. ( I haven't forgotten about the subchaser, I'd just prefer to know what I'm doing when I tackle that project! ) I do own the Banner Models' 1/350 USS Arizona, and the aforementioned subchaser.
Hmmm. Was the superstructure molded on? It'd be my guess it would be easier to paint the deck first, then mask that off and paint the superstructure.
Do you know of a picture of the kit anywhere?

YodaMan
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
Model Shipwrights: 33 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 11:40 AM UTC
There was a FSM not too long ago that talked about painting a ship. I do think the jist of it though was lots of masking but am not sure.
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
Model Shipwrights: 278 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 12:27 PM UTC
I've been using this magical ship modelers tool for years
It's called a paintbrush!! ......Mike Taylor

YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 12:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've been using this magical ship modelers tool for years
It's called a paintbrush!! ......Mike Taylor

Strange... the name seems farmiliar. I seem to recall using one of those in the days before my airbrush...
Does it really work?
#:-)

YodaMan
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 12:46 PM UTC
You're right Yoda-I should describe it so a tread head can understand huh?

It's like a 1/35 fence post with some static grass on the end

Mike T
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Model Shipwrights: 67 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 01:34 PM UTC
Nicely done Mike. I don't like painting tans by hand, always seems like I get brush strokes. You paint the entire ship by hand? The one I won at the club raffle was the Heavy Cruiser "MYOKO" by Hasegawa (kit #WL-C001). Neat concept of flat-bottoming the hull for use in dioramas. Surprised how much they go for (looked up the kit on Squadron and Great Models) for such a small ship (1 foot long X 1¼" wide) . I figured I would spray it gray, mask off the superstructure and hull sides and then paint the main deck tan.

I see some of your upper decks are tan also. Do you know if it would be the same for my type of ship? Last time I build a serious ship kit was an old Revell aircraft carrier. I have done smaller ones like PT boats and landing craft in larger scale.
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 02:39 PM UTC
Usually on the cruisers the fore and aft main deck were covered witha brown linoleum seperated by brass strips. These areas are easy to see on the kits as they are segmented like the rungs on a ladder. Usually the very front and rear are steel and would be the same color as the rest of the ship-a dark gray. You can spray the ship gray then cover it with Future then hand paint the decks.If I remember correctly the cruiser in the photo is a Myoko class...........Mike

TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Model Shipwrights: 453 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 03:12 PM UTC
Wow!! Excellent work Mike! Your ships are superb....but (and don't get mad at me) your water (sea) is fantastic!!
Did you write, or read the article on water making here at Armorama, or are you just closely related to Poseidon!?!

Tread.
modelguy2
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 04:18 PM UTC
"Did you write, or read the article on water making here at Armorama"

Thanks Tread, Yes I wrote those articles as well as a couple of armor and aircraft articles......Mike T
E101
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 20 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 05:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I got a Japanese waterline ship kit at the IPMS meeting last night. Strange thing about it is that it has no lower hull, just a flat red piece. I guess that's what makes it waterline. Anyone ever build one of these things? Any idea how to paint the top deck tan when most of the superstructure is attached?

what the manafucaturer for the kits? tamiya always have this kind of flat red piece. that is the waterline. regarding the painting, i would suggest you paint the deck first before attaching the superstructure. Air brush of course is still the best, i should get one but kind of lack $$$ paintbrush is not a bad options but it will take great skills.. i hate using paintbrush, you always get uneven painting..therefore Airbrush Rules
 _GOTOTOP