_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
My Bismarck - First Attempt at Ship
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 03:38 PM UTC
Hi all,

This is my first attempt at a warship, it's the vintage 1978 Tamiya 1/350 Bismarck with Eduard PE, any comments are greatly appreciated.

mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
Model Shipwrights: 65 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 03:57 PM UTC
Dave,

I'm sorry, but the links don't seem to work. Do you have the pictures up yet on that site?

Mike

Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 1,538 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 04:01 PM UTC
Nice boat Dave!

Is the swastika supposed to be fuzzy?
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 04:06 PM UTC
WOW!! Alright, Dave, nice job. I just ordered the Tamiya 1/350 Yamato, but I was going to shelve it until I thought I could do it justice. Looking at your Bismark, it may stay on the shelf for quite awhile. Don't know if I could come close to your quality. Way to go.

Mike

SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 04:12 PM UTC
Hi Guys, thank you for your encouraging words, it's my first attempt at the ships, so your comments means a lot to me.

MJ, I think if you had done some armor previously or aircraft, ships should be slightly easier (at least for me), the key I discovered is that you need to do masking really carefully, and since the scale is so big, so a little bit mistakes for me I can live with. And the painting is so much easier, after doing an ambush pattern, the ship's camo is a breather....
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 04:26 PM UTC
You are a better man than I, Dave. I've thought long and hard about the masking and painting that goes into a good looking ship. I don't think it's as easy as you make it sound. Maybe it's just good technique on your part. Getting that waterline stripe looking straight and uniform is a bear, I think. The swastika on the bow looks great, too. I think I'll stick with armor for a little longer, before I tackle that Yamato.

Mike

SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 04:35 PM UTC
Mike, the waterline is not that hard, I am sure you can definitely do it, and the Swastik is actually offset to the left, if you can see it from top down straight. The pic did some trick here.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Model Shipwrights: 15 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 12:03 AM UTC
Goosh Dave you have a busy camper their very good on this also. So lets hear about the PE a real pain in the *ss in this scale 1/350 God I don't think I could see to cut it from the Sprue
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Model Shipwrights: 7 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 12:15 AM UTC
Its not strange to see such great work for your first time on a ship. Ive seen some of the first tanks some of the aircraft guys have made and they are almost equal to the best of the bunch on their first model. The techniques involved to certain degree are the same but its the little finess pieces that make the difference. Great work SS and Id like to see a picture of the whole ship, or are you not finished yet?
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 02:49 AM UTC
Jeff,

Thanks for the compliment, comes from you means a lot, you are a master yourself, that SU-76, man! Actually the 1/350 PE was not that hard, there was not much folding involved, you basicly just cut and glue. Much easier than Armor. And since ship is huge, so even in scale 10 times to the thing I normally build it's still alright.

PlasticBattle,

Totally agree with you, I think the skill involved are more or less the same...But in Armor we don't do much of masking, but in Plane and ship, it seems to be quite necessary. And no, the ship is not finished yet, I will keep posting pictures....
 _GOTOTOP