_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
WWII Carrier deck color
MadCat
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 14 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 01:34 AM UTC
Does anyone know what base color can be used for wood on United States and Japanese Carrier decks ? I was guessing a lightened shade of tan but would like a second party confirmation before starting.
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 02:28 AM UTC
Depends on the time frame, but by early 1942, the U.S. carriers had all painted decks; the most prevalent color used was Sea Blue. I believe that after Pearl Harbor, the Japanese carriers had also camouflaged their decks. The prevalent color was a sea gray; I do recall at least one of their ships had a gray/green deck camo pattern.
bison44
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 471 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 07:22 AM UTC
Howdy M60a3
How much where and tear would have taken place on those decks?? Salt water, planes landing etc, would the paint have lasted long or did they do regular repaintings?? I have a nice piece of plywood and about 100 squared off sanded down popsicle sticks that I was going to try and make into a carrier deck for early navy aircraft. I was just going to stain the whole thing but now I am not so sure. When did the US stop using wood for the decks?? Didn't most British late was carriers have armored decks? I seem to remember a story about a kamikaze bouncing and wiping out everything on the flight deck but causing very little damage to the deck itself.
 _GOTOTOP