_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Bismarck in progree pictures
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 01:59 PM UTC
Hi Fellow Modellers,

Here is some more in progress pictures of my Bismarck, Assembled the bridge and the smoking stack and painted them, still need to do detail paints for those parts. Any comment/suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

octupus
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 411 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 02:32 PM UTC
Dave,

You did put a lot of effort and time on the ship. It looks great, especially the paint job. Can't wait to see it finished. Sorry for not giving you any suggestion cause you know that I am not a battleship expert.

Steve

BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,546 posts
Model Shipwrights: 22 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 04:03 PM UTC
In FSM's first "Modelling the Second World War" There is a very good article on this model of the Bismark. According to it, the tops of the main guns were painted a yeloow/brown color very close to Grunbraun (RAL 8000) which denoted the particular campaign the bismark was fighting in. The tops of the little boats on the deck were painted to match.

The main gun boots were black and the main guns were a darker grey blue, almost schwarzgrau, but the turret matched the overall color. The non-wood decks were a similar schwarzgrau color.

The air recogntion swastikas were generally painted over or covered with canvas during operations.

Also, the article had a good idea for masking off the deck to model different colored planks on the deck. I can't see in the photos if you have already done this or not, but after painting the first color, add in a bunch of 1/16th inch strips of masking tape, then paint a slightly different shade, then repeat to satisfaction. If you have gotten to the point that this method is not feasible, you might try a reverse procedure to highlight just some of the planks in varying shades. The decks of the boats that are stored on the superstructure were also made from planks. Subtlety would be essential here, however, nothing too drastic.

A last suggestion the author had was to sand off the kit's anchor chains and add your own in. My own note here: cheap chains can be gotten at hobby stores that specialize in craft jewelry. Just find either the individual chains, or ask if they sell bulk chain cut to length.

Your kit looks good to me, but I am not a swabee by any stretch of the imagination. I hope this helps some.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 04:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

In FSM's first "Modelling the Second World War" There is a very good article on this model of the Bismark. According to it, the tops of the main guns were painted a yeloow/brown color very close to Grunbraun (RAL 8000) which denoted the particular campaign the bismark was fighting in. The tops of the little boats on the deck were painted to match.

The main gun boots were black and the main guns were a darker grey blue, almost schwarzgrau, but the turret matched the overall color. The non-wood decks were a similar schwarzgrau color.

The air recogntion swastikas were generally painted over or covered with canvas during operations.

Also, the article had a good idea for masking off the deck to model different colored planks on the deck. I can't see in the photos if you have already done this or not, but after painting the first color, add in a bunch of 1/16th inch strips of masking tape, then paint a slightly different shade, then repeat to satisfaction. If you have gotten to the point that this method is not feasible, you might try a reverse procedure to highlight just some of the planks in varying shades. The decks of the boats that are stored on the superstructure were also made from planks. Subtlety would be essential here, however, nothing too drastic.

A last suggestion the author had was to sand off the kit's anchor chains and add your own in. My own note here: cheap chains can be gotten at hobby stores that specialize in craft jewelry. Just find either the individual chains, or ask if they sell bulk chain cut to length.

Your kit looks good to me, but I am not a swabee by any stretch of the imagination. I hope this helps some.

Thanks Rtwpsom2,

They are great suggestions, I will definitely give them some trials. I had already replace the chain for the anchor, can't stand mold-on chains...

Really great suggestions, in fact, so good, I printed them out, so I can study in depth. Thanks my friend.
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 06:27 PM UTC
send your email address to [email protected]. I will try and get a copy of the article to you.

Rob
lifestyle
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 340 posts
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2002 - 11:34 AM UTC
ss ships are a hella lot harder than armor isnt it.
Nice model though
Branden
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2002 - 12:57 PM UTC
Did you get that Dave. The first time I sent it through, I didn't break it up, so it was sent back. I had to send each pic separetely. I haven't got any back, so I hope they came out okay.

Rob
Matrix
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 528 posts
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2002 - 01:22 PM UTC
Wow, looking great.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Monday, November 11, 2002 - 01:43 PM UTC
Branden,

I don't know which one is harder, on the PE side, the ship's is definitely much much much much more easier to do than the Armors, but since everything is so small, so need to be extra careful. Actually, the building and painting present not too much a problem if you have half a year solid modelling experience under your belt. The thing scares me the most now is the rigging of the antenna wires, will have to wait and see.

Rob,

I got your emails, is now just printing them out. Thanks a lot for your help. Owe you one!

And Matrix, thanks for your kind words.
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 07:06 PM UTC
Dave, I know your tired of hearing from me by now, but here is one last bit for you. Check out this website, hosted by a friend of mine. It is an article about the Bismark online. Look under feature articles.

http://www.modelwarships.com/index1.html

Rob
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 01:38 PM UTC
Rob, You are full of good resources, I will never get tired of your advises, keep it coming.

Thanks for the great site, love it!
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 04:20 AM UTC
You know what's funny, I don't know a damned thing about the Bismark, beyond a little of the history surrounding it. I was telling Tim Dyke at the IPMS meeting the other night that I had this online buddy convinced I was a Bismark expert or something, but really didn't know anything about it. He handed me a card for his web site, the one I gave to you, and said there was an article about it there. It's just funny what I can get info on.

Rob
Oberst
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 851 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 01:28 PM UTC
Damn, that is a fine looking Bismark from an armour modeller. Maybe you should switch you interests? :-)
From the additions that you have described to me in the chat room, I cannot wait to see the finished result.

Nice,
Andrew

SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 01:37 PM UTC
Thank you Andrew, I think DSB will kick me out if I switch totally from Armor to Ships, what you know I will do next, maybe a Titanic.... #:-)
jackhammer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 357 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 06:01 AM UTC
Very nice Davidus.....but may i suggest a few things.
(1) Try toning down the rust on the tracks......A little dirt goes a long way in this.
(2) The Flugelhiem is positioned 2 scale millimeters to far to the right. An easy over sight.
(3) The drivers compartments armor plates were welded, not riveted.
(4) The exhaust stacks could use photo-etched covers......as well as the flugelhiem
(5) The block of cheese in the boiler room looks as though it may have gone bad. Try replacing it with a Salami or othe meat that ages better.
There you have it. Just a few suggestions to help make a more realistic Bis Mark IV. Hope it helps and LLTDSB!
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Model Shipwrights: 27 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 06:21 AM UTC
Dave

That`s going to be one great piece of ship laddy
Makes me wanna put my ship off the cupboard and start working on it
Darn have several dio`s and models pending

Ah well I`m not retired yet so I will have time for that later :-) :-)

generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 06:27 AM UTC
Davidus,very fine lookin Bismark What scale is it? It looks pretty big I wonder if the make a 1/35 scale one
SniperSoldier
Visit this Community
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 1,638 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 08:08 AM UTC
VERY NICE SHIP AND WORK - CONGRATULATIONS
ROBERTO
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 01:56 PM UTC
Guys, Thanks all for your nice comments. I had finished basic consturction and painting for this bad boy, and should be able to post more pictures later.

Jackus, thanks for your suggestions, and just what exactly is a Flugelhiem , I saw it in the Nashorn, then here, I mean I know where it is in a Nashorn. because everyone knows that the Flugelhiem is placed somewhere there on the Nashorn, but on a ship? you sure there is a Flugelhiem? Or is this a Fluvian thingy?

stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
Model Shipwrights: 25 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 04:40 PM UTC
nice work dave, keep it up stug
warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2003 - 12:04 PM UTC
First off just let me say the SHip looks great and i can't wait to see the finished product. Keeping with the deck suggestion there is an artical on Steelnavy.com about how to shade decks. (I printed it myself to try on a future boat of my own). Also modelwarships.com has some great info and ideas about the Bismark also.
The only thing I can suggest is if you have not already done it. Is to paint the tips of the main and secondary armament black at the tips of the barrels. This will give the illusion of being hollow if you haven't drilled them out.
That is about it except the boat looks great as stated before and I hope to see her sailing soon
Paul
 _GOTOTOP