_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
WWII Royal Navy signal flag hoists
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 970 posts
Model Shipwrights: 446 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 20, 2005 - 10:16 AM UTC
Anybody here an expert on these, or know a good reference? I'm looking for a suitable flag hoist message for Campanula; preferably something where she is just in normal daytime cruising, not at Action Stations or anything like that.

If no-one has any ideas I may just go for 'Cruel Sea' and 'Rip' !!! Which leads to my next question - what flags would be used for the second 'E' and 'Ri in that particular hoist?
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 20, 2005 - 03:44 PM UTC
On your 2nd question here is what I know. There were substitue flags, basically small pennants. The first was used to substitute the first flag in a hoist, the 2nd the 2nd, and so on. I'm not sure about the 2nd E since it's the 4th flag in the hoist but the 2nd R would be substitute flag #2, the sub the 2nd flag in the hoist. I think more likely there would be one hoist for Cruel, a 2nd hoist for Sea, either on another hallyard or hoisted after the first one, and a 3rd hoist for Rip.

In reality there would probably be code words used whenever possible. I'd bet that there would be a code for Sea, probably two or three numbers.

You should see if The Cruel Sea has any good flag signals in it. That would be a good choice.

Do you know what the Campanula's number pennant was? I'm pretty sure that was a three digit number that indentified the ship. For example in this picture I think the three flags flying are W.J.U. I believe that would I.D. the HMCS Arrowhead.

Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 970 posts
Model Shipwrights: 446 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 20, 2005 - 10:41 PM UTC
Thanks for the info Rodger. Taking another look at 'The Cruel Sea' is a good idea (and of course a fine excuse to watch the film again )

Just to further muddy the waters we Brits used our own flag code in WWII - in that code the hoist you show is actually BE1. However she's obviously a Canadian ship, so your decode is probably right.

Campanula's pennant number was K18, but I'm not sure what her particular ID code was.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2005 - 01:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the info Rodger. Taking another look at 'The Cruel Sea' is a good idea (and of course a fine excuse to watch the film again )

Just to further muddy the waters we Brits used our own flag code in WWII - in that code the hoist you show is actually BE1. However she's obviously a Canadian ship, so your decode is probably right.

Campanula's pennant number was K18, but I'm not sure what her particular ID code was.

Actually I was thinking of reading the book again. Good as the movie is you can't trust movie producers, on either side of the pond, to get it right.

It's very hard to see that flag hoist, which is one reason flags aren't used as much today. You may very well be right on with your decode.

If you can't find what her penannt number was K18 would do fine.
 _GOTOTOP