_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Campanula - another step along the road...
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 970 posts
Model Shipwrights: 446 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 12:21 AM UTC
Well I'm slowly getting closer to finishing her! As a break from building the second 16' boat and the Carley floats I decided to add the White Ensign. I used BECC flags, and very nice they are too - here's a pic. More in the gallery. I also have some signal flags from BECC and hope to write a short article on them soon.

EasyOff
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 26 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 02:13 AM UTC
Oh such a tease!!!! More, more, we need more!
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 01:35 AM UTC
Hi Graham!

Man, the flags look very good indeed!
As usual I have to suggest something
(I am sorry, but it is genetic)

I think that the flag looks too new! As you know, because you are a Seaman as well, flags tend to have a short life and some tearing in it would enhance it a lot.

Just my 2 cents
Cheers Graham

Skipper
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 02:07 AM UTC
Hi Rui

You're right, and I did consider trying to fray the trailing edge of the flag a little. I may still do it, as I plan to re-rig the ship with some lycra thread that just arrived in the post today. I've been using invisible sewing thread but I think the lycra will be easier to use and give better results... Will keep you posted!
Logan
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 523 posts
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2005 - 01:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh such a tease!!!! More, more, we need more!

HI

LOL, I agree 100% !!!!

Yer killing me here !!! I won't start mine until I get the basement finished .. must open box and fondle .... :-)

Seriously, this is going to be a stunner when it is done.

Tom
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 02:33 AM UTC
Well I've actually done quite a lot (by my slow standards...) to Campanula in the last few days. I'm in SAR watches at the moment and so have had a bit of time off

Re-rigged the ensign with some lycra thread - MUCH better than the invisible mending thread I used before - and frayed the trailing edge a little as per Rui's suggestion

Ensign is on lycra thread, upper line is 'invisible' mending thread, and funnel stays are fine wire.

I've also been working on the Carley floats...

and various bits and pieces for the mast and 16 ft boats

That's the ladder for the mainmast - a fun build, especially trying to file away any extra brass where I'd cut the PE from its sprue

Finally I've put a 'filter' (opens a can of worms!) over the hull below the waterline. I think it's come out quite nicely, please let me know what you think.

Here's a before...

and an after photo.

Hope you can see the difference - it's more apparent in the flesh as it were!

Cheers
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 03:03 AM UTC
Hi Graham

First things first
Filter:very subtle but I can see it! It makes a difference
Carley Floats and bits: The Rafts look very good, as usual with your work. PE can be very hard to deal with, if you don't tackle it accordingly Remobving those little bits can be a pain (I know!! and the smaller the sclae the harder it gets!)
Flag/Ensign: I would like to see it more frayed, but then, it's your flag

You are making an excellent model, Graham!
You can be VERY proud of it

I have to update the gallery with these new pictures

Skipper
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 03:11 AM UTC
Thanks Rui. I'd also have liked to make the flag look a bit more tattered, but due to the scale and the size of the cotton threads it's actually made from, it's difficult to do any more without it looking wrong. Hope that makes sense!

Will have to face putting the thread lifelines onto the 16 ft boat and the Carley floats soon - not looking forward to that job
Logan
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 523 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 03:32 PM UTC
HI

Looking at your ensign, it does look better. It is one of those subtle things that set it apart.

Re your wash, again, one of those subtle items that give your ship a life of its own.

Re your ladder, why didn't you use styrene rod? Maybe a simple stoopit Q I know but working with plastic is easier.

LOL, wish i could model at work..I used to when we were doing 24/7. I no longer have much to do at work at the moment but do not think the bosses would appreciate it.

Again, thank you for the inspiration !!

Tom
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 10:03 PM UTC
Hi Tom

The ladder wasn't actually as hard to build as it looks - it's only in fact three pieces! Clean up took a little while though as it is very fragile.

I don't get to do any modelling at work, but when in SAR watches I do 6 days on followed by 3 off, so lots of time then to do some building (when I should of course be doing all sorts of other stuff, but there you go )

Back on duty tomorrow - can't wait!
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 08:59 AM UTC
Feel like Chairman Mao here - it's a long old road anyway! Made some more progress - I've added the draft markings to the bow, finally found some white ones online. They're dry transfers but the carrier film is a little thick and hence glossy; a coat of Klear / Future has blended it in somewhat, I'm hoping that a dull coat over the top will cure it.

Obviously I need to add some paint chips and rust streaks over the top of the markings as well, which should blend them in further.

I've also nearly finished (!) the carley floats - well two of them anyway (the ship has four in total). Instructions recommend knotting a single piece of thread around the float, just like the original, but I couldn't face that. So went for the easier option of gluing on individual pieces - 30 of them per float iirc

Splashing glue about meant that I had to repaint the floats of course, and now will have to let the paint cure before re-applying the oil wash to weather them.
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
Posted: Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 07:53 PM UTC
All posts in this thread now updated so that you can see the photos after the server move!
 _GOTOTOP