_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
NEWS
  1/350th Scale USS SeaWolf from Bronco Models
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Model Shipwrights: 171 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 08:35 PM UTC
Just posted, by JAN KLARBæK (MrMox), is news of an unusual (future) release from the most-talked about company on the ''web - Bronco models. The subject of the News story is a model of the U.S.S. Seawolf, an SSN class submarine in 1/350th scale. Details are still sketchy, but at least there are some images of the finished model... The full story can be seen:

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2005 - 01:52 AM UTC
Very interesting looking subject...
Thanks for putting it up, Jim...any info on when and where we may be able to procure a few of Bronco's kit's??
Mark
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2005 - 03:33 AM UTC
Hi Jim

Thanks for showing us "the possible" preview....
I think it looks good - but then, it's only a picture
Thanks to MrMox too for the heads-up

Skipper
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
Model Shipwrights: 40 posts
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2005 - 04:05 AM UTC
Hi Jim,

I was wondering if you or anyone else from a modeling website has had any dialog with a representative of Bronco Models?They seem to be great at issuing press releases of 'future' kits,but slightly slow at putting them on the shelves.This will probably be my last time I pay any attention to Bronco "/news" flashes until I or anyone else can actually lay hands on a kit.
'Where's the beef?'-Rick
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2005 - 05:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jim,

I was wondering if you or anyone else from a modeling website has had any dialog with a representative of Bronco Models?They seem to be great at issuing press releases of 'future' kits,but slightly slow at putting them on the shelves.This will probably be my last time I pay any attention to Bronco "/news" flashes until I or anyone else can actually lay hands on a kit.
'Where's the beef?'-Rick

I agree with you Rick. Seems they're very good at coming out with things to wet our appetites, but it's a very low calorie diet.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Model Shipwrights: 171 posts
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2005 - 06:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jim,

Right let me answer this as simply as I can. It IS a complex issue, the 'answers' (such as they are ) may surpise you...

Firstly, although it may seem strange, there is only one company using the 'web (IMHO) properly, DML. None of the other players are coming even slightly close to Dragon's use of the web. There are a number of reasons for this:

1) They don't fully appreciate just how powerful a tool the 'web can be. Look at our site (as a good example) if I post a story on a major AFV releases, the hit rate (number who read the story) will climb over 3000. Translate that into an advert in a modelling magazine and factor in the cost - several thousand dollars for a full-page. Here, and on other sites, it's totally free. One simple e-mail could bring them thousands of responses to their website.

2) Brand-Identity. Bronco and many other companies are known thru constant 'naming' on sites such as this. From that, they get associated with a good product, increasing sales..

3) Reality: The international language of both IT and Modelling is English. If you don't have the language you won't get your product's information out onto the 'Information Super-highway'..

4) Markets: Too many companies, don't see themselves as players beyond the Pacific Rim. Traditionally the Japanese market was sufficient for Tamiya, now, reality is setting-in.

So in a nutshell, Cultural boundaries, Language, Lack of understanding as to how the 'Net operates are the problems - not just for Bronco but for 2-3 others....Jim
nfafan
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 335 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2005 - 02:45 PM UTC
You have a point, Jim. Skybow does great work, but isn't exactly a household name either.
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
Model Shipwrights: 40 posts
Posted: Friday, December 02, 2005 - 03:27 PM UTC
So you are saying Bronco product is out in the public,just not in the Western market?What I was trying to express was the fact that they announced a line of 1/35 french armor with very nice reviews from PMMS and a release date of June(?)2005.That date comes and goes with no offical explanation from Bronco.Consumers like us are left to rumors.They then announce releases of 1/16 scale armor,photos only-no reviews.Then their website posts a December,05 release of the french 1/35 line.Now we have 1/350 naval subjects announced. Do you think they could flesh out their plans and stratagy in their native tongue and leave the translation problems to the websites?Just a thought.
cheers!
Rick
 _GOTOTOP