_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
HMS Victory(1805)
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 8,227 posts
Model Shipwrights: 451 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 09:23 PM UTC
Anyone here building an HMS Victory?
Cheers! John.
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2005 - 01:46 AM UTC
John, I have the Heller kit, just haven't started it, one of those "I'll do this when I retire projects..... "
warvos
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 350 posts
Model Shipwrights: 142 posts
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2005 - 03:13 AM UTC
John

same thing for me, I also have the big Heller kit.
I started one a few years ago, but never got much further than putting the hullhalves together and gluing the guns in place. ( and finding out I put the yellow lines in the wrong place....

I understand english, but I can't figure out a thing from the "manual" enclosed in the box....(and I even work in the maritime sector)

However, I really look forward to finishing her once... she should look impressive, although at some points she really lacks details. But her sheer size will make up for it.

I even built a smaller version of her,can't remember from which manufacturer, just to have something to look at while building the big one.. but that didn't help much...

It would be nice to follow someone's lead on this one, so I can look at the pics instead of trying to read the manual...

dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2005 - 05:58 AM UTC
I built a Victory in wood,actually It is a diorama, with sailors on deck and in the rigging.I started it in the early 70s and finiished it in the year 2000 after about 6,000 hours of shop time.I love that old ship in wood or plastic it makes a wonderful model.If I can help you guys in any way with your build,please advise.I will post some pics in the diorama section under the the same title and keep you guys advised over here in Warships whenever I do.
Cheers! John.
Ripster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 970 posts
Model Shipwrights: 446 posts
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2005 - 06:13 AM UTC
Completely I'm afraid, but have to say that I love your signature line... (non dog-owners might not understand I suppose!)
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2005 - 06:37 AM UTC
Problem is Graham it is awfully hard to live up to as every dog lover knows.Cheers! John.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2005 - 06:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I built a Victory in wood,actually It is a diorama, with sailors on deck and in the rigging.I started it in the early 70s and finiished it in the year 2000 after about 6,000 hours of shop time.I love that old ship in wood or plastic it makes a wonderful model.If I can help you guys in any way with your build,please advise.I will post some pics in the diorama section under the the same title and keep you guys advised over here in Warships whenever I do.
Cheers! John.

Hi John!

Why don't you post them here?
I would like to see it - as others will too
The only HMS Victory that I built was +30 years ago and it was one of those Airfix series 1 blister ships - I had all of them - I whish I had them again, I know I could make a much better work :-)

Skipper
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 04:39 AM UTC
for pics of the Victory diorama see the diorama section.
Cheers! John.
dolly15
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 04:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Cheers! John.

Hi John!

Why don't you post them here?
I would like to see it - as others will too
The only HMS Victory that I built was +30 years ago and it was one of those Airfix series 1 blister ships - I had all of them - I whish I had them again, I know I could make a much better work :-)

Skipper

Skipper, I consider myself mostly a dioramist. I have made it a personal goal of mine to promote dioramas as much as I can.I have had so much fun in this hobby I want to give a little something back before I get too old(I am 65)
Shep Paine ,the well known dioramist, said a while back that he wished sombody else would pick up the ball and run with it for awhile.I am not putting myself on his level of expertise but I do love doramas and I want to promote their building whenever or however I can.
Cheers! John.
 _GOTOTOP