_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
1/35 LCM's and LCVP's - General Info/help
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 09:54 PM UTC
Greetings Troops

Hi, I've just received my most recent kit the Italeri LCM 3, which I want to build as a Royal Navy version. Can anyone help me with the following:

A site for source reference material featuring the LCM in service with the RN. This kit doesn't have any markings for a British Version nor suggested paint scheme although I imagine it would have a paint job like the LCVP, as this zig zag scheme was used by most RN vessels.

Thanks to murdo for the info on possible British crew - they are 54mm figures but as people come in all shapes and sizes they would probable be alright although I'm not sure about how out of place a 1/32 20mm Oerlikon cannon might look!! Hornet do suitable heads so I might just find some redundant figures and re-model them.

Any other suggestions for a 1/35 20mm Oerlikon cannon apart from accurate armour would be appreciated. Or any general information from navy modellers.

Thanks again folks

Al

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 11:18 PM UTC
Hi Alan

First things first, so, Welcome to Warships @ Armorama.
Now, for your questions:
Painting scheme for British LCM (3): so far I have not seen a distinctive LCM (3) of british use with a special painting scheme... I have seen LCM (1) (the shoe box shaped, and some LCVP's), but I'll see some books and let you know if I can help you on this issue;

British Crew: Appart from the Hornet british sailor heads, you can use this:
U-Models

I have A.A. 20mm Oerlikon (also fired the real gun) and I think it's great, but you can check HR Products, they have a 20mm in 1/32
http://www.hrprod.com/ check the fittings page, 1:32 scale

Hope this helps a little
Keep us posted on your progress, please!

Skipper

EDIT:
Here are some pictures of the british crew and LCM update set

PS: I have no commercial interest in this or any other posts
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 12:52 AM UTC
Hi Skipper,

Thanks very much for you welcome, the information and your help.

I've almost finished the Italeri LCVP and enjoyed the build a lot. I made some sailors from spare parts and they haven't turned out too bad!!! This is my first ship for many, many years as I'm more an Infantry and Armour man.

I thought I'd build the LCM as a British version and had thought of adding 20mm cannon rather than the .50cals supplied with the kit as this was a very common weapon with the Royal Navy.

I think 1/32 figures would be OK given the difference in size in ordinary people but I'm not sure how noticable 1/32 20mm cannon would be!! Any thoughts? Accurate Armour do a 1.35 verson but at £25.00 plus that's a non starter, especially as I would need 2.

I thought a white/black/green/grey zig zag camo scheme (as for the LCVP) would probably be appropriate but I haven't see any photo's to help either with the colour scheme or the armourment, so all info greatly welcome.

You can do a lot of damage with a 20mm!! I' ex Infantry myself although I teach now. I only just started modelling again in the summer of 2005. The kits have come a long way but I don't know about my skills!!!

Thanks for all your help.

Al
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 01:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've almost finished the Italeri LCVP and enjoyed the build a lot. I made some sailors from spare parts and they haven't turned out too bad!!! This is my first ship for many, many years as I'm more an Infantry and Armour man.

Al

Hi Al, and welcome aboard, mate!
Hey Al, what was your opinion of the Italeri LCVP Kit...I'm about to start this kit and am wondering how the build went for you...
Thanks,
Gunny
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 03:01 AM UTC
Hi Gunny,

I thought the kit was a nice build. I had no fit problems and the instructions were fairly easy to follow.

The only problem I encountered was with the grab handles in the MG mount. These were very tiny and two of them flew off to model heaven as I was trying to place them correctly and need to be replaced with wire ones. Despite cralling about the floor for some time they have't yet appeared but who knows!!

I also had to use some cotton for cable 2 as I didn'thave enough for both. However, that may well have been down to me as I wanted the ability to move the ramp when I finally place the kit in a dio (some years in the future!!!) and I was concerned that if I cut it too short I might lose one end!!!

I also managed to snap off one of the MG seats when I finally gluded the deck to the hull despite having fitted it all a couple of times I forgot about the seats in the final fit!! (typical)

Overall I thought it was a very good kit, the .30cals are a bit naff but I am pleased with the general appearance, although I used a light sea/grey colour for the top deck which has given it a greenish finish and I might have been better to use a light grey.

I finished mine as a British version and the camo scheme on the side of the boat looks good.

The figures look a little bulky but I haven't built them as I needed a British crew. They will probably be OK if you are building a US Craft but will need a bit of cleaning up.

You need a little patience fitting the cables.

Sorry I can't post a picture but my camera isn't good enough to take a sharp enough photo although I have tried.

I hope this is useful and enjoy your build. If you are building a US craft then this site has some good photo's and general info about the ships that carried these craft - www.ussrankin.org/id41.htm

Cheers

Al

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 03:16 AM UTC
Hi Skipper,

Sorry I meant to say thank you for the photo's. I'll try and see if either of these suppliers have a UK distributor.

www.tarrantstoysoldiers.com/mtp4.html also have a very nice range of 1/32 Navy kits - metal I believe although I never worked with metal kits they do have an interesting range.

Apologies if you know this already.

Al

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 11:12 AM UTC
Hi Skipper and Gunney,

Talking boats have you seen the Artesania Latina range of boats. They have various scales and some great ones in 1/35.

One day I hope to incorporate one in a Dunkirk Type Dio, I have some figures made already!!!

Food for thought??? (ha ha)

You can check them out at www.netmerchants.co.uk just use the search manufacture box to see the range.

I have no connection with any of the sites I've mentioned. However I do use netmerchants as one of my key suppliers as they give a great service. Kits usually arrive within 3/4 days of ordering sometimes sooner.

Happy modelling

Al

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 03:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Skipper,

Sorry I meant to say thank you for the photo's. I'll try and see if either of these suppliers have a UK distributor.

Hi Alan
U-Models is a one man show business, so I doubt that he has distribution in the UK
E-mail him and say Skipper send you from Armorama.
Rodolphe usually answers during one week period

I have checked my sources late night and didn't find any British LCM in a different scheme - sorry

A Dunkirk dio would be a challenging thing to do
But go on - I'll give all the support I can

No need to apologise - it's better to duplicate links and knowledge than to miss any
Keep safe, Keep modeling,

Skipper
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 04:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Gunny,

I thought the kit was a nice build. I had no fit problems and the instructions were fairly easy to follow.

Cheers
Al

Hello again, Al!
Thanks for your input on the kit, mate...I have had good luck with Italeri kits in the past, and I figured that this one was comparable, but when I read that you had already built this one I just couldn't resist asking you about it...I will keep your downfalls in mind while building (I'll probably do the same things! :-) ) , if I ever get my workbench clear to start this one (should I start just one more kit? )...anyways, keep us posted on your latest build, mate!
Gunny
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Model Shipwrights: 171 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 05:56 PM UTC
Alan, if you should need any individual components from Accurate Armour - send them an e-mail ... I've bought all sorts of bits and pieces from them over the years at a very modest price. These are not items listed in the catalogue but items that they produce for their individual kits...Jim
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 09:06 PM UTC
Jim, Skipper and Gunney

Hi,

Firstly - Jim thanks for the info re Accurate Armour. I've brought a number of their kits and they are excellent, too costly but excellent. I'll try an e-mail and see if they might fo me a deal for two for the price of one and enquire about any other possible goodies. He can only say no.

Skipper and Gunney thanks for all you help. I've contacted the RN Museum at Portsmouth to see if they can provide any information if not I'll work on my original plan and be dammed. Action this day as Churchill said!!

Thanks to all. I'll keep you posted on developments and if I can borrow a decent camera I'll post some pictures and you can let me know what you think.

Be safe, be well.

Al

Later - 2030 hrs - begging letter sent - results awaited.

What are you folks working on at the moment?

_GOTOTOP